Last 05-06 season winter climb

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127163 by moss
Last 05-06 season winter climb was created by moss
I should've gone to New Jersey this weekend, it probably would have been 2 or 3 degrees warmer way down south in Princeton :-)

Here are some photos from this weekend's climbing. Mark F's tip on tucking a hand in at the base of the neck/upper back saved me from numb fingers for the umpteenth time this winter. (thanks Mark!)
Climb photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127168 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Last 05-06 season winter climb
N i c e !
Gear shots are my favorite. Plus, pictures always perk up the message base!

I couldn’t resist touching it up a bit. :D

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127171 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Last 05-06 season winter climb
I guess my last officially-winter climb was last Wednesday on a bur oak in a park south of Minneapolis. Just a quick one while the rest of my family was at the Minnesota zoo. Snowy cloudy day, nice typical park-grown bur oak. My main concern was losing any dropped gear in the snow. The sheriff drove by at one point, but I don't think he spotted me - hasn't developed a search image for climbers yet.

That said, we have another month or so of more or less winter-like climbing. It's spring, but northern Minnesota is a bit slow on the uptake about that - temperatures in the single digits at night and a few inches of snow on the ground. The nice thing about climbing is that I don't have to wait until it warms up; just need to find the time somehow...

Moss: glad the handwarming tip works for you. Apparently the eskimos use it all the time - they only put on gloves when it's really bitter and they aren't doing any fine work with their hands.

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127173 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Last 05-06 season winter climb
Here in the frozen northland -- north Georgia that is -- about the closest I have come to a winter climb was getting out in some ankle-deep white stuff along the Appalachian Trail and ascending a white oak that is locally known as the "h" tree, because one limb apparently bent over many years ago and got stuck in the ground about eight feet from the main trunk. It then began to root itelf and grow along with the main tree. I was able to ascend the main trunk and then lower myself onto the top of the "h." The tree is located on the eastern slope of Big Cedar Mountain, between Woody Gap and Neel Gap, along a very popular stretch of the Appalachain Trail.

FYI -- those of you in the real "Frozen Northland" will want to sweat a little when I tell you the daytime temps here have been in the mid-60s to lower 70s for a month now, and the overnight lows have rarely dropped below 45 degrees. But the best winter weather, in my humble opinion, was found down in the Republic of Panama in January -- when it was about 85-90 during the day and 60-65 at night.

Have you hugged your trees today,
Wild Bill from Dawsonville
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127176 by Electrojake
Bill. . . The “h” Tree???
If ever your out that way again, a couple of photos would be great.
Sounds like a mighty interesting phenomena!

Waiting for Warmth in NJ,
Electrojake

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127180 by markf12
Bill: I'm with EJ - I want to see the "H" tree. I've seen holly do the falling over and re-rooting trick a lot in the Big Thicket of SE Texas, but I've never seen an oak pull that off.

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127184 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Last 05-06 season winter climb
EJ, Mark and others,

I am technically and electronically challenged, so I could't figure out how to post a photo on this message board. But, if you go to treeclimbercoalition.org and click on TreeTalk Blogs, you'll see my shiny, smilin' face as I perch comfortably on the hump of the "h" tree.

I did it just for the "h" of it.

Have you hugged your trees today,
Wild Bill from Dawsonville
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127188 by Electrojake
Bill,
That’s perfect!
Thanks.

Click on the link below for the ”h” tree shot.
www.treeclimbercoalition.org/TreeTalk/article.cfm?articleid=61

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127190 by markf12
Bill,
Cool! That one is genuinely weird. One of the things I love about nature is its ability to surprise.
Thanks much.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127196 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic The “h” Tree Formation
Dear Bill,

First of all great story and photo!

You all know that I am not a certified arborist but lets look at another point of view. In viewing the photo it appears to me that we should consider the possibility that this is two trees that have grown together at the vertical intersection.

There are signs of a lot of activity at the intersection and once the crossover grew together the overage would have been damaged enough to fall off.

It is real hard for me to see what looks like a limb rooted instead of the apparent crossover growth. If the trail was to be marked it could have been used a “bent-over” marker. The ones that I have seen and climbed are shaped somewhat the same and as old looking.

So we may never know the real truth but that is the rest of the story.

See you at the top,

Dan House, TreeTramp

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds