Big old red oak climb

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127065 by moss
Big old red oak climb was created by moss
Here are some photos from a recent climb, the biggest red oak that I've been in. It's a fine old tree...
Red oak part 1
Red oak part 2

-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127074 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Big old red oak climb
Wow, that looks like such a fun climbing tree! Great shots, I like the shadows of your limbs on the tree limbs.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127076 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Great Pictures of the Red Oak trek
Josh, great pictures of the Red Oak Trek. I see that the cart's workmanship is pretty high. What kind of suspension did you use? Otherwise it could be kind of bumpy along rough trail ways. Thanks again for the photos. I learn more by looking at pictures than anything else. Specially if I want to try some of the ideas that you guys develop from time to time.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127077 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Big old red oak climb

Originally posted by Oldtimer
...I see that the cart's workmanship is pretty high. What kind of suspension did you use? Otherwise it could be kind of bumpy along rough trail ways..

Great question. At walking speed suspension is not as much of an issue. It's similar to a bike, you can ride any fat tire back over rough terrain without suspension, just take it a little slower than usual. There is some shock absorption built in. The wheel support struts are relatively thin lengths of fir and have some flexibility. The tires are the fattest I could find to fit a standard 16" rim. I keep tire pressure low to absorb vibration. I've thought of putting some kind of rubber gaskets between the wheel frames and the main frame but haven't needed it.

I will say that it is very nice to arrive at a tree relaxed and rested instead of with an aching back. When I run into challenging obstacles I'll unload the cart and portage over the obstacle, reload and on my way. It's even nicer when you come out of a tree after four hours climbing and don't have to put your gear on your back.

I'm a semi-hack carpenter, the cart is built using simple materials, hand tools and a couple of powered hand tools. None of it is perfectly square or balanced but it does well enough. With a table saw and drill press (working on it) I could crank it out much faster and make all the parts a little more accurate in dimensions and alignment. I will try and draw up some plans once the prototype is fully resolved.
-moss

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #127083 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic Big old red oak climb
Moss,

Do you push that cart or pull it through the woods? Pulling one-handed with that handle arrangement could cause biomechanical probelms with the shoulder and clavicle.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127158 by moss

Originally posted by Rod Justice
Moss,

Do you push that cart or pull it through the woods? Pulling one-handed with that handle arrangement could cause biomechanical probelms with the shoulder and clavicle.

Sorry Rod, I missed your question when you posted it. I push the cart. It can be pulled to get over logs and that sort of thing but is most comfortable being pushed.
-moss

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127164 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic Big old red oak climb
That's good. Hang that thing up on a root or bush while pulling it and it just wracks the daylights out of the shoulder joint all the way down to where the clavicle joins the breastbone. If you do have to pull, turn all the way around and pull it with both hands while facing the cart.

it' a good looking piece of equipment, good job.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127165 by moss

Originally posted by Rod Justice
That's good. Hang that thing up on a root or bush while pulling it and it just wracks the daylights out of the shoulder joint all the way down to where the clavicle joins the breastbone. If you do have to pull, turn all the way around and pull it with both hands while facing the cart.

it' a good looking piece of equipment, good job.

Thanks! I have my niece Anna do all the testing so I don't risk injuring myself. She can barely walk and can't really talk yet, but she has an agreeable personality and is willing to work when she's not napping!

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127170 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Big old red oak climb

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds