backyard climbing adventures

• coonrad
  • coonrad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126961 by coonrad
backyard climbing adventures was created by coonrad
I recently geared up and jumped in to climbing trees with rope and harness. I think the trees in my yard were sending me subconscious messages that they needed to be climbed and cared for (see below for my tree liberation operation :)

Here's a few pics from my backyard climbing adventures:

Sun drenched lichen at the crown of a big doug fir

The house I live in does not have a view. Well, scratch that statement. If you climb one of the large doug firs it has an exceptional view!

NE view of moon and canopy. This was a great day to be tree climbing.

NW view across the water

This is my backyard "climbing gym." Two doug firs, with a western hemlock on the right and some nice (not pictured) red cedars, a bigleaf maple and a horse chestnut. If you look close, I'm at the top of the center fir.

Ascending a red cedar in the front yard.

Prior inhabitants strung a steel cable between two cedars about 40 feet up. The growth of the tree was causing the cable to start to strangle the tree.

This was the laceration left by the cable. What a relief to cut this loose. I'm happy and the tree is happy.

Evening light through the canopy of a western red cedar.

I'm hooked on tree climbing. Can't wait til spring, as the days get longer and everything starts to green up again.

regards,
coonrad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126968 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic backyard climbing adventures
Awesome photos Coonrad, thanks for sharing.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126962 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Welcomed Conrad
A house w/ no view?
I would love to have that view near my house even if I have to climb the trees to see it. The Pictures are great. Looks like your are doing Single Rope Technique. Nice gear also. The removal of the cable from the tree was a great idea. I am sure the tree will apreciate that action for many years to come. Welcome to Recreational Tree Climbing. You are officially hooked!

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126981 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic backyard climbing adventures
An environment with such a vista is beyond my (New Jersey) comprehension.
What's the location?

Nice.
Thanks for posting em’. :)

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126985 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic backyard climbing adventures
When I cut cables, rope, plastic, etc that is girdling trees, I think the tree wants to respond just like the Tin Man responded when he finally got the oil from the oil can.

Nice pics!

(side note- those non-lockers weren't primary safety points, were they?)

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• coonrad
  • coonrad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126986 by coonrad
Replied by coonrad on topic backyard climbing adventures
Oldtimer, so far I've just been climbing DdRT, and using a prusik/foot loop. With the addition of the foot loop it's seems to be a great climbing technique. I have been trying to work out s SRT system on a low hanging branch...trying to find the right adjustments, practicing changeovers. Haven't done any serious SRT yet though.

Electrojake, the images are from Kitsap County, WA. The water is part of Puget Sound, and the mountains are the Olympic Range. It was really clear that day, after a loooooong season of rain we've been having. Now it's clear and cold!

NickfromWI, I'm using those biners with a shock absorbing Y lanyard. I'm aware that they are not as bombproof as a locking biner, but they are great for clipping in and out of a sling. I plan to try the same system with some auto-lockers.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds