First eagle of the year

• markf12
  • markf12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126959 by markf12
First eagle of the year was created by markf12
Nice day for a climb. Temps in the low 20's, light/medium wind, sunny. Went out to Star Island and climbed the white pine behind the family cabin. Beautiful view of the lake, nice smooth climb, a little bit of wind to gently rock the tree near the top (about 60 feet).

Nice smooth climb until one end of the line got stuck in a narrow crotch way at the top of the tree, and I had to climb back up to get it out (my fault; I'd left the carabiner tied on the end). Grumblemumblegrumble...

On the way back up, I saw a bald eagle go by, the first of the year. The eagles come back well before the ice is out in order to stake out nesting trees, but this is the earliest I've ever seen one here. Flying low, right over my tree. Somehow the rest of the way back up to retreive the rope wasn't so bad.

Nice day for a climb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126976 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Eagle! I am jealous!
What a sight that eagle must have been! I am an avid birder and would LOVE to see something like that! I get lots of hawks and a few owls at night, but have never seen an eagle while aloft. I would prefer it a bald eagle too. Golden eagles I have heard are not as fearful of humans.

Blame your hung line on the Spirits! They knew the bird was coming and decided to give you a treat. You did give thanks, no?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126977 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic EAGLES
I stopped today on the way home from work and watched 5 bald eagles do some low altitude flying and feeding in corn fields and pastures. Mostly they just landed and hung outin the sun and cool breeze.

they are an awesome sight to behold probably watched for a good 1/2 hr
i need a good camera!!

slingshot

• markf12
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126983 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic First eagle of the year
For a while (during the height of the DDT era), the Chippewa National Forest was the only place in the lower 48 states with a viable population of bald eagles. Now they have become so abundant around here that the best nesting places are filled up, and some eagles are hanging around human dwellings. Except for about 3 months in the winter, I see them regularly (weekly or more often) on my way to work, flying over the "city" of Bemidji, or out my office window. I saw my first of the year on Sunday, and my second today.

My all-time favorite free-climbing experience (20 something years ago) involved a canopy emergent white pine and an eagle hanging in the air at eye level about 40 feet away.

If this sounds good, come on up and visit anytime. The great grey owl irruption is over (last year was pretty amazing) and probably won't be on again for a few years, but there are lots of other birds to see.

The trees are nice too.

Cheers,
MF

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126984 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Where are you?
Where are you? Northwest territory? Sure sounds great.

How is the owl calling out your way? Do they come when called? It is a favorite night past time with me. My best was a long conversation with a Great horned owl in Colorado. He almost landed on my Treeboat- scared me to death thinking of those talons.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126991 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic First eagle of the year
How far over the border are ya from Iowa?? I have family up there ya know just over the border Hollandale. Are ya far from there?

slingshot

• markf12
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126992 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic First eagle of the year
The Chippewa National Forest, where I do a lot of my climbing, is right smack in the middle of the northern half of Minnesota. In other words, pretty far north. Bemidji is just west of that. We're a bit closer to Winnepeg Manitoba than to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I haven't been owl calling around here, but I know people who do call, and who know where to go.

The big lesson I get from seeing the eagle during the re-climb is: you can be granted a gift anytime - be prepared to be appreciative.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127157 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic My eagle
Didn't see my pair of balds last weekend,but must have just missed them. Last we climbed here they flew eye level about 40' away. I came camera in hand this time, just in case, the only thing I saw though was a still steaming pile of poo...I'll post the photo soon, the bones were all over the place. I think they might be hunting from our favorite tree since the nest blew down a few months ago.

Oh, Peter..."Hoo" are you talking to anyhow?

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127162 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Protecting the Environment
Quote:
For a while (during the height of the DDT era), the Chippewa National Forest was the only place in the lower 48 states with a viable population of bald eagles. End of Quote from MF.

It is nice to see people that recognizes the benefits of Environmental Regulation for example the banning of DDT.
The current administration is chomping at the bit to undue all the Regulations that protect Water Quality Standards and the Federal Air Quality Standards - New Source Review Process for power plants. Make sure to let your congressmen know that you do not appreciate those ideas.

Those Bold Eagles are too precious not to protect for a few power generating companies to make extra profits.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127221 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Picture
The picture I got of the eagle poo. Is a large photo.

Click here for the pic of the eagle poop!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds