Hello from Costa Rica

• crtreedude
  • crtreedude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126705 by crtreedude
Hello from Costa Rica was created by crtreedude
Hi - we live in Costa Rica and have tree farms and reforestation projects. I used to be a rock climber - but you are going to look long and hard to find much rock in this area. Too much jungle.

So, I am looking into tree climbing - after all, we have a lot - and there is a useful side too - a lot of time to harvest seeds, you need to climb the trees.

So, hello everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126706 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Hello from Costa Rica
So when can we visit and climb trees with you? :-)

Sounds like you're building a wonderful life down there (in New England, everything is "down there" no matter what the direction) while doing very important work. Looking forward to hearing about your tree climbing adventures. You've come to the right place to learn more about tree climbing. Ask lots of questions, there is plenty of friendly expertise here.
-moss

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126710 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Hello from Costa Rica
Hey crtreedude,

Come on east a ways and cross the border into Panama. Every Janaury we're located just a few miles across the border on Isla Colon and we climb a lot, a whole lot, of the biggest and baddest trees in the area. We'll be there from 6 January to 20 January. Cross the border on the Carribean side and take the bus to Almirante; it's a half hour ride. Then take the 25-minute water taxi to Bocas del Toro. Catch another bus (or get a taxi) to take you to Boca del Drago and Playa Drago on the other end of the island. We're housed in the two-story wooden buildings just before you get to the cafe/restraurant. For info: itec-edu.org or treeclimbingusa.com.

Keep on climbin',
Wild Bill from Dawsonville
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• crtreedude
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126712 by crtreedude
Replied by crtreedude on topic Hello from Costa Rica
Regarding visiting - by all means - I have MOST of the gear - but I think I need a new harness.

Unfortunately Wild Bill - I am far from retired and this is a heavy work period for us. No chance getting a break.

Regarding "experience" I have a story of my first attempt tree climbing in Costa Rica - I will post the link if it is permited and you all want me to.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126713 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Hello from Costa Rica
Please do. It is an excellent story :-)

Check out the New Tribe saddles if you haven't already. You can hang in them comfortably for much longer than a rock saddle. They are also more comfortable than a traditional arborist saddle:
New Tribe saddles

• crtreedude
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126714 by crtreedude
It is a touch of an embarrassing story. ;)

All Tied Up in Knots

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126716 by treeman
Great story. I too was a rock climber that got into tree climbing. My fist climb was like you, with a rock climbing harness. I went up with a shoulder full of slings and a lot of carabiners. I did however have the presence of mind to leave my chocks behind- couldn't see any cracks up in the tree, except possibly myself.

It did not take me long to get tangled up in the branches with all of those nylon runners. I only had my Dad watching, which was a good thing.

So welcome to our community here. I am sure you will find us of agreeable sorts. Don't feel hesitant to ask questions. I sure wish I had a place to talk when I started out.

I agree that you should check into a New Tribe saddle. A large majority of climbers use them that converse here.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• crtreedude
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126720 by crtreedude
Thanks for the willingness to help. I have an alpine climbing harness which is a little more comfortable - I am seriously thinking of adding a little more padding to it and I suspect it will be fine until I convince myself to buy something new.

Most of my issue has been moving up and down - of course down can be really fast, but that isn't the goal is it...

I have static rope, ascenders, etc - and even know how to tie some of the knots - I will almost always have ground crew with me as well.

I will admit, I love the idea of having a hammock slung in the trees for sleeping at night - I suspect the Howler monkeys will be a pest though...

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds