Oops, I did it again

• docteric
  • docteric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125812 by docteric
Oops, I did it again was created by docteric
You'd think I'da learned. But noooo. I have to screw up a few times before I get it.

When climbing w/ Moss (at the NE rendesvous), I delayed our descent to make a cross over (not a traverse). As such, we came down in the dark - me w/o a light. Gratefully accepted the use of Moss'.

Last night I'm up in my pine tree. I'm puting in a more permanent TIP so I can get up and down quickly to clear out some deadwood when I get a few minutes.

Well, I'm so involved in the TIP that I don't notice it's getting dark. By the time it's done it's pitch black out (no moon this time of month). Do you think I brought a light with me this time? Nope. I call to my wife in the house, but she doesn't hear. Did I bring a phone? Of course not. How about a whistle? Again no.

So once again I'm practicing my knots in the dark (checked 'em about 8 times before using them). Finally SRT'ed down OK, but then my line got stuck in the TIP. It spent the night there. 'had to climb up again this morning to free it from the link.

When am I going to learn?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125813 by jimk123
Docteric,

Thanks for your honest sharing. My response here is only based upon my personal efforts to be prepared. I don't intend to lecture to others, but I want to embed preparedness into myself. In other words, when I write about preparedness (is this a word?) its only for self improvement and conditioning.

I've learned two primary things: 1) My style of climbing concludes at dusk, so I must always have a source of lighting. I carry two to counter Murphy's Law. 2) A fanny pack can carry all of my "emergency" needs.

For lighting, I purchase the ~$9 LED headlights at Walmart. My favorite is the Ever Ready version, but it just graduated to the $12 mark at Walmart. My back-up lighting is a LED pen light for ~$5. My objective is to carry it at all times. It's helpful on the backside of PC's in the daytime.

My fanny pack carries a second set of glasses, first-aid, a knife, a cell phone and a whistle. Soon it will contain an emergency poncho.

I must have this fanny pack stocked and on to climb (hint: self coaching here) even for my front yard.

I climbed yesterday without if for the first time time in months. I was climbing with my 13 year old son at the family farm with others milling around. With a whip of the rope, my glasses tumbled to the ground, where my son was there to assist. I was descending on a BH, so there was no problem. It simply confirmed that I have to wear my stocked fanny pack.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds