• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126400 by jimk123
Achieved a Goal Today was created by jimk123
I've been climbing near the Olentangy River north of Columbus. The cottonwood in picture has been a challenge to me since spring. The tree is surrounded by thick growth. The best crotch for tree entry at 50' has a narrow open area. Today I reached it as my entry point - twice. Three things were helpful factors: 1. numerous previous throws have probably cleared the obscuring twigs 2. I've relaxed my swing 3. my weight has been increased to 10 oz.

All errant throws become penalties on this tree. Throwing a line is practice practice practice. There are a lot of nuances.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126401 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic
Congrats, Jim. At the BRP climb, I was impressed with your throwbag (throwsock) capability--maybe "envious" is a better word.

Today, I spent about 45 minutes with the throwbag. My throws to the 50-foot-or-so level usually are (a) off in azimuth enough, or (b) just enough short to miss the crotch--pretty discouraging.

I wish I believed in "practice makes perfect"--unfortunately, it's more like "practice makes permanent." One might think my throwing skill would improve, but it sure doesn't look like it to me!

I think the number-one thing I need to work on is throwbag accuracy; I don't need a climbing school, I need a throwing school. Winter should be no deterrent to such practice.

One of these days, maybe I'll break down and buy a Big Shot--or build one of Peter's "Cheap Shots."

Peace.

Jim

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126408 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic
I'm on vacation, so I was able to climb this tree again. Because we're forecasted to have snow this week, I left a line in for a quick return and photograph.

Just for the record, I've set over 60' with the throw sock. This tree has a challenging canopy to reach 50'. What I've noticed about myself is that I don't want to set above 60' , because I have diminished ability to inspect something at 70' (nearsighted).

Call me crazy, but I like to have a good inspection on where my rope is set.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #124274 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Throwing through a hackberry.
Don't you love it when a hackberry is near by! Talk about a line grabber! They don't give up a hang too well either. Those twigs are strong! It is just about as bad as throwing through a hickory tree.

Good throw days/Bad throw days. After 27 years of tree climbing, I have arrived at the the notion that some days I am "to die for accurate" and other days I am begging off to another climber pleading "an off day". Good days see 70 foot shots dropping like magic from the sky while bad days I need a gag over my mouth for crass language control, especially when I run out of lines that are now dangling in the tree.

I believe you do get better with practice. But be gentle with yourself on an off day.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #124219 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic
My high-school cross country coach once said, "the more you practice, the luckier you get."

I find that it applies in a lot of places.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds