Rendezvous '07

• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130169 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic shuttles and buses
The Estes Park Shuttle guy seems a bit flaky. He had told me this would be no problem. But now he's not returning my calls or emails. AT DIA, you can pick up an RTD bus or Super Shuttle to the Boulder Bus Terminal. From there it's only about 20 minutes to Jamestown. I'm looking into some sort of shuttle from Boulder to Jamestown and Cal-Wood, which is a few miles further. RTD to Boulder is about $10, Super Shuttle about $20. We'll try to work out something for people who can't get closer than Boulder.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/Routes/index.html#skyRide
http://www.supershuttle.com/default.aspx?content=Denver

Here is another site that provides good local transportation info in Boulder:
http://www.bouldercoloradousa.com/static/index.cfm?contentID=94&sectionid=1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130248 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rendezvous '07
Put my registration in the mail today. I'm psyched! Looking forward to meeting new tree friends who already feel like old friends.

So how will it be to climb at high altitude? Should I be sleeping in a low oxygen tent to prepare? Maybe a supplemental oxygen tank on the back while climbing? I should probably talk to some Tour de' France riders and get some training tips. You guys aren't going to be doing random blood doping tests in the middle of the night are you?

Getting delightfully woozy just thinking about it... climbing big Ponderosa that is.
-moss

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130251 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Rendezvous '07

Originally posted by moss

So how will it be to climb at high altitude? Should I be sleeping in a low oxygen tent to prepare? Maybe a supplemental oxygen tank on the back while climbing? I should probably talk to some Tour de' France riders and get some training tips. You guys aren't going to be doing random blood doping tests in the middle of the night are you?

Getting delightfully woozy just thinking about it... climbing big Ponderosa that is.
-moss

First off, I ain't that big.

I'm guessing if we took pee samples from everyone, we would find a multitude of foreign and banned substances, not to mention the high-octane stuff in Abe and Joe's bloodstreams.

As to altitude, we'll be going around with a PU truck, tossing passed out climbers into the bed. A few hours in the hyperbaric chamber and they'll be good to go again.

Actually Moss, not a bad question on the altitude. I would recommend for the first day or two drinking plenty of water and perhaps taking an aspirin at bedtime. Seems to help. Go low and slow to start on your first climb, and see how your head is. For most people in good shape, it shouldn't be a problem.

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130252 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic Rendezvous '07

For most people in good shape, it shouldn't be a problem.

SO - you are saying we have to be in shape to climb a tree, DANG DUDE - that is not fair. I guess, i will leave the harness at home, pack twinkies and a good book and my diet soda and waddle about the place.

he he - any good rivers to run, i could strap on a small floatation device and bob about a river or too.

HE HE

and I thought different

shari

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130258 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rendezvous '07

Originally posted by JerseyGirl
SO - you are saying we have to be in shape to climb a tree, DANG DUDE - that is not fair. I guess, i will leave the harness at home, pack twinkies and a good book and my diet soda and waddle about the place.

he he - any good rivers to run, i could strap on a small floatation device and bob about a river or too.

HE HE

and I thought different

shari

Not to worry, instead of zooming up the tree like you do in Georgia you'll just chug a little slower. Take it fast or as slow as needed, that's the beauty of rec climbing, there's no rush.
-moss

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130263 by jerseygirl
I am slower then Kudzu - HOW much slower can I get?

It will be a grand time - no matter HOW sloth i climb.

IT will be memories for a life time and hard to beat for me

see you in them bigger them i have been in trees.

gee - embrassedhere

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130264 by jerseygirl
OOPS TYPO

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130277 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Good news on transportation Boulder to Calwood
Everyone,

We have arranged a shuttle from Boulder Bus Terminal to Cal-wood. Van holds 6 people and costs $75 per trip. I will email everyone to get their approximate arrival time in Boulder (about an hour's bus ride from DIA, which leaves about every hour). We will then schedule several pick-ups during the day. Full vans would be $12.50 per person. Van will also be available for return trips on Monday. Hope this is acceptable for everyone. Thanks.

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130286 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Notable Tree Tour of Boulder
This might be of interest:
http://www.coloradotrees.org/programs/Boulder_Tour.pdf

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130296 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Rendezvous 2007
24 Days to departure for Colorado vacation... but who is counting!

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130300 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Bicycle ok at the Rendezvous?
Thanks for counting down the days Oldtimer, it's a good reminder for me to get my gear together.

I'm mulling over various options for moving my gear between trees at the Rendezvous. I'm working on a folding version of my woods cart that can be checked baggage on a plane. If I can finish it that would be great.

Another possibility is to bring my climbing gear in two panniers and rent a bike in Boulder for the weekend. Is it ok to ride a bike to get to trees at the site?

Just want to make sure it's not a bike restricted area.
-moss

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130309 by jerseygirl
I had spoke wtih Harv about bike rentals - there is one in Jamestown. I was looking more for a road bike - lance style - then off-road.

sounds like you are really going to have fun

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130311 by jerseygirl
How many days until ?????

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130317 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic How many more days?
19 Days for my trek. I guess I better get my gear ready soon.
On another topic have you notice that you can climb a tree in a regular way from a regular entry point regularly but If you try from a different direction on the tree you will find many other obstacles and challenges and it provides many new ways to enjoy the same tree. I climb mostly two trees in my property and lately I decided to enter along a different route. Right away I noticed that the trash can is on the way, the fence is on the way and many obstacles conspire to make it more interesting but I get more determined to get up sometimes I have to use 2 TIPs in order to maneuver my way around and then after several TIP exchanges and many transfers later I try to come down in the other complete direction just for the heck of it.

Give it a try this will increase the fun of your nearby trees specially since "speed of climb" and "efficiency " are not my goal just having fun in the trees!

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130318 by jerseygirl
I call that circling the tree. I ascend on one side and with each pitch or switch I try to got 1/4 about the tree. YES - different views on each trip.

19 more day, NOT ENOUGHT TIME. but i know i will not PACK until the day before as I am still climbing. GEE do I take the pink shirt or purple one.

See you there

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds