How to determine your height?

• tmaclean
  • tmaclean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #138159 by tmaclean
How to determine your height? was created by tmaclean
Hi! I have a dumb question. What's the most common way to figure out the height to which you have climbed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #138166 by moss
Replied by moss on topic How to determine your height?
First you need a quick way to measure a relatively long length of rope. I measured my "wingspan", distance fingertip to finger tip with both arms stretched out from the shoulder outward, 90 degrees to the body. My wingspan is 5.5 feet. To measure from your high point in a climb, lower the tail of the rope until it touches the ground. You might tie a throw weight to the end so you can tell more easily that you've touched the ground with it. Now grab the tail at the height you are and measure wingspans as you pull the tail up. Easy way to calculate is count how many wingspans it took to get the end up the rope up to you and multiply it by your wingspan measurement. This is an approximate measurement of your height in the tree.

If you want more exact measurements pick up a laser rangefinder, Nikon makes some nice ones, they are relatively inexpensive for what they can do. For example you can measure tree height from the ground etc. Also nice if you're making a rope zip line and you want to calculate how long a rope you'll need to go from point A to point B.
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldtimer, tmaclean

• tmaclean
  • tmaclean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago #138167 by tmaclean
Replied by tmaclean on topic How to determine your height?
Thanks for the tips! The wingspan approach will do for now. The rangefinders look pretty cool, but I have to save my cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moss

More
3 years 11 months ago #139627 by Jabango
Replied by Jabango on topic How to determine your height?
A rangefinder might work well. That's what I use. A laser rangefinder to be exact.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds