old man climbing with 2-pulley block and tackle

• iohann
  • iohann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago #137966 by iohann
My arm strength is insufficient for climbing with the standard methods. I love climbing trees but must hoist myself with block and tackle arrangement.

My problem & question: as i pull myself aloft, i need to pause from time to time. what device must i acquire in order to be able to pause my ascent and rest without the rope paying back through the pulleys and descending (if i should lose my grip, for instance)? something similar to the way an ascender works -- rope pays through the device for ascent, but will not do so for descent unless one "unlocks" the rope.

i hope this is clear.

thanks in advance for any advice that might be offered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #137968 by moss

iohann wrote: My arm strength is insufficient for climbing with the standard methods. I love climbing trees but must hoist myself with block and tackle arrangement.

My problem & question: as i pull myself aloft, i need to pause from time to time. what device must i acquire in order to be able to pause my ascent and rest without the rope paying back through the pulleys and descending (if i should lose my grip, for instance)? something similar to the way an ascender works -- rope pays through the device for ascent, but will not do so for descent unless one "unlocks" the rope.

i hope this is clear.

thanks in advance for any advice that might be offered.

To be sure, no climber can ascend arms only, at least not for very far. If you look into various basic/established tree climbing techniques you'll see that ascending requires legs and core muscles as well as arms. I recommend you research and review DRT (doubled rope) with a Blake's Hitch, Super System (mechanical advantage DRT), RADS or Yo-Yo (3:1 mechanical advantage for single rope or SRT). Peter Jenkin's Tree Climber Basics DVD is a very good learning and information tool. Also look at Jeff Jepson's Tree climber's Companion booklet.

All that said for the system you've rigged, you need to capture progress and also be able to descend smoothly. A Blake's Hitch may work, or what's called a split tail with any number of hitches that are used with a split tail. Read up, watch, and learn from the sources I mentioned, I think you'll find the answers your looking for, as well as and most importantly: safety information.
-AJ
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by moss.

• iohann
  • iohann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 2 months ago #137969 by iohann
thanks for the quick reply. i followed up on the topics you mentioned and found the "progress capture" devices i was looking for.

once again, thanks much.

More
6 years 2 months ago #137971 by moss

iohann wrote: thanks for the quick reply. i followed up on the topics you mentioned and found the "progress capture" devices i was looking for.

once again, thanks much.

When you get things set up post some photos if you can, would be good to see what you came up with. Thx!
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds