• benjhind
  • benjhind's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #137849 by benjhind
Big Swing Setup was created by benjhind
Hi Folks,

My kids sure love it when I throw a rope over a high limb and make a big swing for them. I'm wondering how others set this up? It needs to be adjustable depending on the weight of the climber.

I'm using a rope sling over the pivot branch, then I basket hitch a webbing loop around the base of a nearby tree and attach the main rope with a carabiner and prussik loop.

Other ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #137850 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Big Swing Setup
I like to redirect the swing rope through the crown of a tree to distribute load. I anchor at the base of the tree or a second tree. Right now I'm using a Grigri as a swing height adjuster. When the swing is in operation I lock off the Grigri with an overhand on a bight tied just above the Grigri. A Prusik Hitch would work just as well if not better, I'm testing different options. I put a Dan House conduit rope sleeve where each redirect contacts the tree.

I'm using Sterling HTP 10mm as my swing line, stretch is an issue so the HTP is good, very low stretch. With multiple redirects the overall strength and safety of the system is very good but that means there's give in the system so easy height adjustment for kids vs. adults for example is important.

This type of setup is very high performance, if the rope is hung high the rider can develop a huge swing and velocity compared to a classic yard swing. Must be really careful introducing people to a swing like that so they don't hurt themselves. Small steps, hold tight ;-)

Some video from my current swing setup, I'll post some more detailed setup photos:

-AJ
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by moss.

• benjhind
  • benjhind's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #137851 by benjhind
Replied by benjhind on topic Big Swing Setup
Very cool setup Moss! I'm using 11mm KMIII (my only rope), which is low stretch but my current setup is limited by the sag/bounce from the limb I'm using. Perhaps a redirect could reduce the force on the limb. I'll have to try that. I love my Dan House rope sleeves, very low friction and low cost!
The following user(s) said Thank You: moss

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds