Tree Climbers International Forum

Register today!  Website registration is required to participate in our Forums. Register now and start posting your comments!

New climbers! These Forums are not intended as a substitute for professional tree climbing instruction. Please do not use them for that purpose. We urge you learn the fundamentals of safe tree climbing by taking a “Basic Tree Climbing Course,” or by purchasing TCI’s "Tree Climbing Basics” DVD or online BTCC.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: girth hitch on split tales

girth hitch on split tales 10 years 7 months ago #131581

dose any know why is the splice on split tales are so big and if tying a girth hitch with it makes it any less safe?? thanks for the help spiritsk8
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:girth hitch on split tales 10 years 7 months ago #131583

• emr
  • Junior Boarder
I think that is the reason they make it so big. When you girth hitch your split-tail you actually prevent lots of the cross loading that could normally occur to your biner. When I used to climb with that kind of split-tail, I always had it girth hitched to the biner.
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by emr.

Re:girth hitch on split tales 10 years 7 months ago #131586

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Nick makes the loops of the split tails we made so small that you can hardly get the binner inside it. If you have a split tail that has a fairly large loop, many arborists actually girth hitch it over the biner to prevent it from moving around it that will work also and prevent the binner from being cross loaded on the gate. It works safely either way.

Re:girth hitch on split tales 10 years 7 months ago #131591

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
Girth hitching the tail directly around your delta or harness tie in point makes for a nice quiet climb. No biners needed if it's a simple up/down single pitch. Sometimes all those biners make you sound like a ghost dragging a chain through an attic!!!!

Re:girth hitch on split tales 10 years 7 months ago #131594

• J~bird
So true! I'm all for quiet climbing, Jacob Marley always spooked me out.

Girth hit them big eyed split~tails, but I reall do like the tight eyes that Nick makes... check out Anchor Bridge Splices too.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Visitor Login