Newby question Re: Fair Lead use

• burrdoc
  • burrdoc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago #130648 by burrdoc
Newby question Re: Fair Lead use was created by burrdoc
Not certain of all the terminology but I have a swivel and micropulley to attach to the DRT system (with or without split tail). My question is that if you have the running end of the rope thru the pulley, what do you do while using a foot loop on the down line? Do you pull down on the rope above the Blake Hitch and let the pulley move the hitch for you?
As you can tell, I'm very confused.
Thanks,
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #130650 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:Newby question Re: Fair Lead use
Randy, welcome to the community! You are using the fairlead the right way. You got that you don't have to actually tend the hitch. Right now it's just a matter of fine tuning the length of the bridge on your blakes hitch. If you make it short, you'll probably be pulling the rope above your hitch. If you make it longer, you'll be pulling from below the hitch.

What do you prefer?

Just don't make the bridge so long that you can't reach the hitch!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• burrdoc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago #130651 by burrdoc
Replied by burrdoc on topic Re:Newby question Re: Fair Lead use
Thanks Nick.
I was thinking that the pulley couldn't move the hitch unless you pull the running line above the hitch. So I guess I would have the foot loop below and hands above the blakes hitch and while pushing down on the foot and pulling down on the rope, the pulley would push the hitch up...no? Mind you, I have climbed a grand total of 2 trees after watching Treeman's video and he says never reach above the hitch. I will take the beginner's course from Peter in a couple weeks and am certain he will straighten me out.

XXOO backatcha,
Randy

More
16 years 6 months ago #130652 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Newby question Re: Fair Lead use
burrdoc wrote:

...Mind you, I have climbed a grand total of 2 trees after watching Treeman's video and he says never reach above the hitch. I will take the beginner's course from Peter in a couple weeks and am certain he will straighten me out

When you're starting out climbing, it's a good idea to make your bridge long enough so that you're pulling underneath the hitch, but not so long that you can't pull down on the hitch to descend as Nick pointed out.

Placing your hands above the hitch puts you in a position to accidentally initiate descent.

I'd put the pulley aside for now, it's going to get in the way more than it's going to help you as you learn to climb. Climb simple now and learn how to get along without the extra gadgets, you can add them in later when you have a better idea of how they'll optimize your climbing. I understand the impulse though, all that pretty gear is hard to resist.
-moss

• burrdoc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 6 months ago #130653 by burrdoc
Replied by burrdoc on topic Re:Newby question Re: Fair Lead use
Thanks Moss. Sounds right. I'll hold on the toys for awhile.
Randy

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds