The third hand

• markf12
  • markf12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129356 by markf12
The third hand was created by markf12
OK, confession time. Anybody out there besides me use the "third hand" while climbing - that is, holding stuff for a moment or two with your teeth? I always seem to find it useful to hold an end of (unloaded) throwline, or some other small lightweight item I need out while a bunch of other stuff is out too. No mishaps yet...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129357 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic The third hand
Mark, don't put rope in your mouth! I never do it because I can't get this picture out of my head. Maybe someone can find a link...I don't have it. But this picture will never leave my mind.

The picture is of a rock climber who fell while using the "third hand" to hold the rope while he attempted to clip in.

The picture is of him, smilling, and all his front teeth were missing and his bloody gums could be seen.

It made an impression on me.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129358 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic The third hand
Yeah. . .
I know you’re not supposed to, but once in a while I too use the 3rd hand to hold a glove, clip, or line.

Additionally, I have been told many times by co-workers “NEVER wrap a rope or line around any part of you that your not willing to lose” namely your hands.

I also have a bad habit of stepping on a line (usually a steel cable) to get an idea of just how much load is actually on it when doing a tricky rigging job.

So yes Mark, I do it and yes Nick, it’s a real bad thing to do.
Anybody else care to fess-up?
I’ll bet there’s a lot of poor safety habits going on out there!

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129359 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic The third hand
I will admit that on occasion I do hold unloaded ropes and throwline with my teeth. Most of the time, though, if I need that "third hand" I'll try to grip with my curled over lips, which I figure is much safer. A rope burned lip is better than ripped out teeth!

• markf12
  • markf12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129360 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic The third hand
Rope in the mouth does seem like a particularly bad idea, and I've never tried it even on a rope I believe to be unloaded. As the first post said, this is for small lightweight items like an end of a throwline or a glove. Anything metal is likely to give the oral surgeon some business.

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129361 by moss
Replied by moss on topic The third hand
With a little practice you can tie a slip knot into a rope with one hand and clip it into an accessory biner. To put a rope in your mouth you need a hand anyway so there's no need to do it.

If you're grabbing the rope with your teeth then you're having serious rope management issues :-)

It's difficult to talk to other climbers with stuff in your mouth.
-moss

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #129364 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Third Hand Holding
Tried it before and had similar experience to what Nick describes while holding the the throw line with my teeth. I almost got them re-arrenged. So now I just clip stuff to the small carabiner on the saddle and let it take the hit.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds