Advancing an SRT rope

• docteric
  • docteric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124014 by docteric
Advancing an SRT rope was created by docteric
What is the best way to advance your line when climbing SRT? When I first set the line I can use the throw line to help get the rope through the 'biner if the branch is more than 1/2 the distance of my rope (e.g. setting up on a branch 60' up when my line is only 100'.

But that's not possible when one end of my line is attached to the first branch.

So can someone describe to me the technique they use to set the second (third etc) branch? Right now I'm really limited to the trees I can climb because I only have 40' of rope.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124039 by redpanda
Replied by redpanda on topic Advancing an SRT rope
Get another rope!

Or pull the end up after you and throw that over a branch. Make sure you throw a collapsable monkeys fist rather than a carabiner, if it gets stuck you can be in trouble.
If you are making a nooseloop to cinch to branch for SRT, you can also anchor it to yourself and make a DdRT loop. More damage to tree and rope but a basic technique.

moral of the story:

You need at least two tie in points to move in a tree. try both ends of the same rope.

• docteric
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124043 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic Advancing an SRT rope
Thanks.

That's actually what I do now. I can only throw the other end of the line to a branch less that 15' above the one I'm on (about 8 feet tying me onto the first branch, leaving 32', half of that is about 15). I can then use DRT or put the loop onto the line and pull it up for another SRT.

My question is - is there a way to get the SRT line around a branch say 25 feet above the first one? I'm a bit too broke to get a new line yet - when I do I'll probably get a much longer one.

Any ideas of what I can do in the meantime?

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 5 months ago - 19 years 5 months ago #124047 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Advancing an SRT rope
Tying in with a lanyard would allow you to use the same technique you used on the ground to progress further up the tree.

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124069 by redpanda
Replied by redpanda on topic rope shortage
err..if you ascended on ddrt would you have enough to go higher?

too lazy to do the arithmetic.

• docteric
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124081 by docteric
Red

You're right. That's my problem exactly. If I use DRT I'll have no rope at all to advance with. My plan is to use SRT the whole way.

I think what Blake said is probably the only option I have. At each branch I'll have to switch to a lanyard, then advance the rope. It'll take some time, but hey, at least I'm spending it in a tree.

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124098 by redpanda
Of course, if you are lucky youve got a beloved "groundie" ready to undo the anchor once you are up there!!

• docteric
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124103 by docteric
Anchor? Not sure what you mean.

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124128 by redpanda
oh sorry, i lost the plot. your initial post implies you are anchoring the rope on itself. you could alternately anchor it to the ground, which would be the way to go if you had branches in the middle.

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124144 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Advancing an SRT rope
One small warning: if you anchor one end of your line at ground level and climb SRT on the other end, the laws of physics show that you double the amount of weight on the limb.

It works like this -- if you weigh 100 pounds and climb DRT from a limb, you are putting 100 pounds of weight on the limb. If you weigh 100 pounds and climb SRT with the rope cinched up tight against the limb with either a running bowline (not recommended by some climbing professionals) or with spare carabiners or a delta link, you are still putting 100 pounds of weight on the limb.

But, if you run the rope over the limb and back to an anchor point on the ground and then climb on the other end of the rope, you are putting 200 pounds of weight (100 from the climbing side and 100 from the anchor side) on the limb.

Personally, I use that method only on my initial entry into the tree and only if the limb supporting the rope is very big (in fact, I prefer to have the rope running through the main crotch if possible).

Remember, gravity always wins!

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124145 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Advancing an SRT rope
The weight on the limb in SRT or DdRT doesn't change but the load does. Small difference :)

WB,

Do you have a problem with working/climbing on SRT with the rope anchored at the ground because of the doubling of the load?

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• wildbill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124146 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic Advancing an SRT rope
Terribly sorry, old chap --

I stand corrected; instead of doubling the weight on the limb from 100 pounds to 200 pounds, I have simply added another 100-pound load to the system...! Picky, picky, picky.

Okay, that's enough fun with you, Tom. In a few minutes I'm headed down to my practice tree to try out some new stuff that came to me in the middle of the night. I'd tell everybody what it is, but it might turn out to be so stupid that I'd rather nobody knew about it until I can prove it either useful or worthless. If it turns out to be useful I likely will brag about it at a later date; if worthless, there will be no additional posts regarding the subject...!

• Hazman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #131744 by Hazman
Replied by Hazman on topic Re:Advancing an SRT rope
1 Buy another rope
2 Tie your self to the tree using a sling or something take of the rope then do whatever you do to get it on the next branch
3 pull your remaining rope and use that to throw to a higher branch

Hoped it helped

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds