Next branch next branch next branch and then next branch

• redpanda
  • redpanda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 weeks ago - 20 years 4 weeks ago #123489 by redpanda
Nick wrote:
Nice idea....clipping the end of your rope to the saddle! I sometimes go up a tree KNOWING I am going to use the tail end...this might be one less step to worry about!
---

nick-
Funny hearing that, because every time I climb I expect and plan to use the tail ends. I suppose one could argue pros and cons...

Are you not normally flipflopping from end to end? Or do you use a long and a short?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 weeks ago - 20 years 4 weeks ago #123491 by nickfromwi
No, I don't flip-flop the rope. I have an eye spliced on one end. I use that end always.

I do have one short rope (60') that I use when appropriate. It's nice not hauling around long rope when you don't need it!

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 3 weeks ago - 20 years 3 weeks ago #123510 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Storing throw line.
If I know I will use it often in a tree. I just let my 50 foot throw line dangle, with bag clipped to my side. It is simple, but not high tech.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 week ago - 20 years 1 week ago #123583 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Vortex
For the open trees like a Sycamore, I use my son's Vortex, which is a Nerf type of minature football with a winged stem. I'm accurate and good for about 40 feet. Thus far it seems to get unstuck OK. It wouldn't work for denser growth tress. It's less forgiving than a small throw-bag when stuck. It falls into the category of being quick and dirty and worth having in the climbing tool box. For an open limb from the ground, it's the right choice.

I haven't used it in a multi pitched climb. However, I can visualize a greater freedom of motion with a football throw than a throw-bag/ monkey fist which will need some type of rotation before release.

Regards,
JimK

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 week ago - 20 years 1 week ago #123586 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Vortex throwline
The football idea sounds interesting. We might even be able to use one to have climbers in different trees throwing to each other...
How do you attach the throwline to the football - just tie it around the fins?
Patrick

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 week ago - 20 years 1 week ago #123589 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Vortex - tie
Because this isn't a life line, I use a clove hitch as the attachment of the Vortex football to the throw-line. The attachment is to the stem where the fins are situated. I figured that it provides a remote chance of beneficially becoming undone.

It has potential of being used in applications like climber-to-climber or in a gaming situation.

JimK

More
20 years 1 week ago - 20 years 1 week ago #123593 by nickfromwi
Jim, I never thought that I'd be considering nerf products as part of my climbing gear!

What a great idea! I can't wait to give it a try.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds