• Treezybreez
  • Treezybreez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #135761 by Treezybreez
Decaying Maple Dismantle was created by Treezybreez
Just thought I would share some work climbing pics. Maple

This tree had decay in the base and it was leaning in the direction of some power lines. In order to work it safely I was tied in on a different maple tree.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Treezybreez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135765 by Finchy
Replied by Finchy on topic Re: Decaying Maple Dismantle
Aw man your picasa link? (not working for me), perhaps the link you get when you're logged in is different for general public that aren't logged in to your account?

Very keen to see all your photos
Cheers :)

More
12 years 1 month ago #135766 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle
I couldn't see your pics either. I'm sure it was a doozy though. I did ROW clearance for 7 years for the local power co. As I'm sure you know, we ran into plenty of hairy situations. I did a removal for a lady last year that reuired me to tie in to the tree behind the one I was working. The one being removed was a big red oak that had an open rot gap 36" high & 20" wide, with a 15 degree lean. Right over her nice new shed with the house feed running between them. That was a fun one.

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135767 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle
Try again, I am sorry about that. It says "Important! The address for this page has changed. Please update your bookmarks".

I am not sure why it does that. Does anyone have an idea?

This was not the most difficult job I have done, however the fact that there is decay at the base forces me to think very hard prior to cutting. I took weight off the side that had the good roots first. If the tree were to start falling over I was prepared to abandon ship.

Maple

More
12 years 1 month ago #135771 by 2chops
I know what you mean about being ready to bail. I always have my "feelers" on alert when in a tree. But on some jobs my ears are on high alert. Any unnatural crackling & I'm outa there.

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135772 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle
So I guess that means you can view the pics? The second time seems to be the charm with Picasa.

Even the sway of a tree can alert you to danger. Trees have a natural sway when all their roots are alive and working properly. Scientist Steve Sillett talked about a leaning Red wood tree that had a normal sway in one direction and a bumping feeling in the other. He along with some other scientists were spending the night up there when a storm blew in. They decided to wait till light before trying to descend (After all, the tree had been there for thousands of years). Within the next week or two the tree fell and pretty much buried itself.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #135781 by 2chops
I remember reading about that in "The Tall Trees". Fantastic book.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds