Tree Climbers International Forum

Register today!  Website registration is required to participate in our Forums. Register now and start posting your comments!

New climbers! These Forums are not intended as a substitute for professional tree climbing instruction. Please do not use them for that purpose. We urge you learn the fundamentals of safe tree climbing by taking a “Basic Tree Climbing Course,” or by purchasing TCI’s "Tree Climbing Basics” DVD or online BTCC.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Decaying Maple Dismantle

Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 5 months ago #135761

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just thought I would share some work climbing pics. Maple

This tree had decay in the base and it was leaning in the direction of some power lines. In order to work it safely I was tied in on a different maple tree.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Treezybreez.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 5 months ago #135765

• Finchy
  • Fresh Boarder
Aw man your picasa link? (not working for me), perhaps the link you get when you're logged in is different for general public that aren't logged in to your account?

Very keen to see all your photos
Cheers :)

Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 5 months ago #135766

• 2chops
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I couldn't see your pics either. I'm sure it was a doozy though. I did ROW clearance for 7 years for the local power co. As I'm sure you know, we ran into plenty of hairy situations. I did a removal for a lady last year that reuired me to tie in to the tree behind the one I was working. The one being removed was a big red oak that had an open rot gap 36" high & 20" wide, with a 15 degree lean. Right over her nice new shed with the house feed running between them. That was a fun one.

Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 5 months ago #135767

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
Try again, I am sorry about that. It says "Important! The address for this page has changed. Please update your bookmarks".

I am not sure why it does that. Does anyone have an idea?

This was not the most difficult job I have done, however the fact that there is decay at the base forces me to think very hard prior to cutting. I took weight off the side that had the good roots first. If the tree were to start falling over I was prepared to abandon ship.

Maple

Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 5 months ago #135771

• 2chops
  • Gold Boarder
I know what you mean about being ready to bail. I always have my "feelers" on alert when in a tree. But on some jobs my ears are on high alert. Any unnatural crackling & I'm outa there.

Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 5 months ago #135772

• Treezybreez
  • Expert Boarder
So I guess that means you can view the pics? The second time seems to be the charm with Picasa.

Even the sway of a tree can alert you to danger. Trees have a natural sway when all their roots are alive and working properly. Scientist Steve Sillett talked about a leaning Red wood tree that had a normal sway in one direction and a bumping feeling in the other. He along with some other scientists were spending the night up there when a storm blew in. They decided to wait till light before trying to descend (After all, the tree had been there for thousands of years). Within the next week or two the tree fell and pretty much buried itself.

Re:Decaying Maple Dismantle 6 years 4 months ago #135781

• 2chops
  • Gold Boarder
I remember reading about that in "The Tall Trees". Fantastic book.
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Visitor Login