What do the posting people here do for a living?

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127722 by treeman
What do people do in the “real world” that visit this message board? Electrojake- you got me wondering about those of you that post here. What is your profession- your 9-5 job? I can only image the wide field of variety in chosen occupations in those who post here. What do you folks do for a living? Inquiring readers want to know. Please also tell us what new direction you are moving towards as far as interests and profession is concerned. I will start with myself.

Current occupation: certified arborist (tree care operations and consulting) and tree climbing instructor.

New directions: Publishing. This includes videos (DVD’s actually), books, photography, and audio productions.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127726 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic What do the posting people here do for a living?
What do the posting people here do for a living?

Treeman, funny you should mention “me” & job descriptions. . .
I’m always blabbing about my high-voltage adventures. :D
But, you do ask a good question! I too often wonder what sort of interesting talent is out there amongst the TCI forum members.

Perhaps hearing about jobs we may have done in the past.
Or, as I like to put it, “Got bio.?”

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127729 by leon123
I work as the arborist in a university owned rain forest arboretum. I also do arboricultural consulting, tree work, and a little bit of specialty rigging on the side.

• Orion
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127734 by Orion
I only WISH I climbed for a living. I will someday. I work in the Telecommunications field in a test center. I am also a drummer and a martial artist, ( just a few months til black Belt.. woo hoo! ). I used to be a volunteer EMT and always dreamed of doing high angle rescue and such. Tree climbing sounds like the ultimate hobby adventure! Let me at it! :D

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127754 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Real Life Job!
I have been in the Environmental Protection Field for my entire working professional life about 23 years so far dealing with Water and Wastewater treatment, Solid and Industrial Waste, Water Rights and Air permits. I work for the Environmental Agency of the State (TCEQ) working with public concerns and participation in permitting issues. Have a B.S. Degree in Agriculture and a Masters of Science in Plant Sciences and Soils.
Climb trees for fun and volunteer in BSA local scout troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127762 by markf12
My "day job" for the last 8 years is being a biology professor at Bemidji State University, a mid-sized (4-5 K students) state school in northern Minnesota. I teach freshman Biology, and a range of courses in ecology and botany. When I get time, I do research in plant ecology, with a particular interest in forest stand dynamics. Grew up in Stamford Connecticut, went to college (BS and MS in Botany) at U of Wisconsin - Madison, PhD from Uppsala University in Sweden, post doc work in Texas and Tennessee. I started climbing for research, now it's just as often for fun.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127799 by treehouse
Replied by treehouse on topic What do the posting people here do for a living?
I am a minister and spiritual coach; father of 5 children who now claim to be adults; experiencing the joys of a first grandchild who is 9 months old, and hoping to build an office in a treehouse in the mountains one day. Instead of treeclimbing for a living, why not live in a tree and take others climbing for fun!

Until the next moonlit climb,

Steve

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #127994 by SRT-Tech
I have done everythig form golf course maintenance, bike courier, bike mech, auto mechanic, driver, truck courier, hospital ERT member in a lockdown psych/prison unit, volunteer SAR, volunteer forest fire watch, demolition crew leader, store detective, recently became a groundsman, trianing to be a tree climber professionally.

:D

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #127996 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic What do the posting people here do for a living?
I'm a chiropractor and writer and publisher of patient education material.

• Guardabosques
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #127998 by Guardabosques
Replied by Guardabosques on topic What we do for a living
I haven't actually posted yet (I just registered yesterday), but I have read a lot of the old posts.

I have been a cook for about nine years to earn my rent money, and let me tell you--rent money is about all I made.

I am now a student at Humboldt state University earning my BS in biology and botany. I love forest canopy ecology, but I am also excited by the growing number of people who are taking an interest to the treetops through rec-climbing. But who knows where my schooling (both at the University and through Tree Climbing Northwest) will take me?

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #127999 by beechbum
Replied by beechbum on topic I don't work for a living!
I am a corporate pilot flying a Beechjet 400A, hence my username :) I also make kites and tie bracelets and repair computers for some walkin' around money.

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128033 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic at your service
I get to follow the BeechBum. I work for pilots and the flying public as an air traffic controller. I'm certified in both the tower and on radar. I've worked for the FAA for 15 years-in 5 facilites.

New directions for me include renewing my electrician trade. Which I learned before ATC. I'd like to learn solar electric.

I don't see tree climbing as being my work. Though, I am hooked on it as a very important part of my life.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128064 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Work
Been gone for a while but been checking in when I have the free time.

Been at Vermeer Mfg. for 11 years as an assembler,assembly tech and now part of the Quality Control Team (2yrs.) in the Environmental Division on the big Tub and Horizontal Grinders and other tree service machines.

Later All

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128066 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Work? Who Has Time to Work?
No, seriously, I run a production departmemt at a residential design firm. I oversee the production of construction documents for something like 2million square foot of custom homes a year.

My carreer goals are to make it to retirement without having a stroke or heart attack at my desk, so that I might retire to the life of a treeclimbing hermit.

I'm open to do the custom design on a treehouse if anyone is interested...

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128169 by briang8
Hello everyone,
It's nice to find a climbing forum with less emphasis on commercial arboriculture, nothing against it. I just got out of it in April. I'm a past TCI member, but I can't recall this site having the message board back then.

I'm a USDA Treeclimber. I inspect trees for Asian Longhorned Beetles. I basically get to climb trees and look at them, some office work too.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds