Hi from New Hampshire

• inspectorgadget
  • inspectorgadget's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #138052 by inspectorgadget
Hi from New Hampshire was created by inspectorgadget
I'm Russ Hall, a new member in Union, NH. Done some tree maintenance and removal in trees above the reach of a 30 foot bucket truck, but don't have access to that truck any more. It's been exciting to discover I can get up a tree without the truck. I'm a retired machinist and nuclear inspector, so I'm into the challenge and satisfaction of making my own equipment where I can. Made a pretty descent harness starting with an old safety belt. I have a cobblers treadle sewing machine that can handle pretty thick stuff. I'm currently working on making a "big shot" type throw line launcher using aluminum tubes I have. I'll buy the Big Shot pouch & elastic tubes from Bartlett, but to complete what I can make, I need to know the diameter of the rod they make the "Y" out of that the tubing slides onto. If anyone has one, and would be willing to measure the diameter of those rods, I would be very grateful. If you happen to be able to measure it with a micrometer of caliper that would be great. I guessing it's around 1/2"(.500) or 7/16"(.437) or maybe metric (11, 12, 12.5, or 13 mm). Thanks for the help.
I was given a nice Blue Water rope by an x-caver. Been studying Treeman's DVD and practicing knots. Only done a 10' test climb, and that motivated me to buy a foot ascender. Will try that when all the snow is gone.
I'd like to communicate with other climbers, especially ones in my area. Looking forward to sharing a climb some time in the future. Best to you. Russ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #138053 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Hi from New Hampshire
Hello Russ,
Welcome to the TCI forum!

The round stock on the Big Shot head is 11mm diameter. I prefer slightly lighter slingshot tubing on my multi-section 10' pole, I can stretch the lighter stuff much further and throw higher than the stock Big Shot tubing. If you decide go that route order latex tubing 5/8" OD, 1/8" wall. The slingshot pouch on the stock Big Shot is not great, you could sew a better one with webbing and cordura or similar fabric. I have a Big Shot pouch to give you if you buy your own tubing. I'm near Lowell, Mass., send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

At 00:05 into this video you'll see my slingshot setup in use. That's 2 years ago, was using a head with ABS plastic arms, those finally started cracking after 8 or so years of use. I've replaced the ABS head with the Big Shot head but with the custom tubing size (shown in the vid) https://vimeo.com/139917817
-AJ
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by moss.

• inspectorgadget
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #138055 by inspectorgadget
Replied by inspectorgadget on topic Hi from New Hampshire
Andrew,
Thanks again for taking the time to reply with the dimension and suggestions which I like a lot. I really enjoyed your White Pine climb video. My big shot to-be will also use two 5' snow rake poles so I wondering what length of elastic (tubing) you used for each leg. What I'v found of that size runs from $2.00 (black) to 2.50 (amber) per foot. On a fixed retirement income I'm reluctant to buy any more than needed. I would be glad to take you up on your offer of the big shot pouch. I have never seen a Big Shot live, only in catalogs and your video, so I'll wait to see one before I try to make a better version. I don't get near the Lowell are very often, but I'd be glad to reimburse for time and postage to send it to me. I'm going to get the stock (11mm) and finish up the "Y" head this week. Is that the Big Shot "trigger release" mechanism (available from Bartlett) that you used to cock and hold and then release the shot, or was it something you made?
Really appreciate your willingness to help a beginning climber.
Also, I'm not sure this reply is private or not, or how to do that. My first experience with this kind of forum or chat room thing.
Russ

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #138056 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Hi from New Hampshire
Hi Russ,

All replies on this forum are public. However, you can also send a private message to another user. On the upper right hand corner of this page you'll see a link to "Private Messages." You can click on it, and then the "compose" button to write a message to someone. "To" is the username of the person you're writing to. For example, if you want to write to Andrew, his username is Moss (you can see that above his picture on the left side of his post). He will get your message in the private messages area of this Forum. If he writes back, you will see a "New" next to Private Messages when you log in here.

Call me if you still need help, and we'll figure it out.

Patty
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by patty.

More
5 years 11 months ago #138058 by moss

inspectorgadget wrote: Andrew,
Thanks again for taking the time to reply with the dimension and suggestions which I like a lot. I really enjoyed your White Pine climb video. My big shot to-be will also use two 5' snow rake poles so I wondering what length of elastic (tubing) you used for each leg. What I'v found of that size runs from $2.00 (black) to 2.50 (amber) per foot. On a fixed retirement income I'm reluctant to buy any more than needed. I would be glad to take you up on your offer of the big shot pouch. I have never seen a Big Shot live, only in catalogs and your video, so I'll wait to see one before I try to make a better version. I don't get near the Lowell are very often, but I'd be glad to reimburse for time and postage to send it to me. I'm going to get the stock (11mm) and finish up the "Y" head this week. Is that the Big Shot "trigger release" mechanism (available from Bartlett) that you used to cock and hold and then release the shot, or was it something you made?
Really appreciate your willingness to help a beginning climber.
Also, I'm not sure this reply is private or not, or how to do that. My first experience with this kind of forum or chat room thing.
Russ

You're welcome Russ. For a ten foot pole I like the tubing length to be 24" from the tips of the slingshot head to the pouch. I slide the tubing on the Big Shot head 4", copious amounts of rubbing alcohol as lubricant required to make that happen. The stock Big Shot tubing is installed the full length of the round stock on the head, I've found that to be more than needed. I've had zero slippage over many shots fired with 4" on the round stock. You'll also use up some tubing getting the attachment to the pouch right, I recommend an extra 2' tubing per side to make it through the learning curve.

My trigger release is a Wichard snap release, expensive but a high quality piece of gear that you can rely on, well worth it. Others have use archery releases and dog snap release. I like the smooth and reliable functionality of the Wichard release (on treestuff) . I built my own custom "hold-down" with a small carabiner built into it so it's easier to hook up the pouch you're loading up the tubing.

If you PM your address I'll send the Big Shot pouch. I have a diagram somewhere showing how to attach the tubing to the pouch loops, I'll look for it.
-AJ

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #138059 by moss
This is my "pull and hold" system, the Wichard release attaches to a loop on the bottom of the pouch:

I found the plastic sleeve in a hardware store, the cordage is tied in a Klemheist Hitch. The little hook on the right made from a coat hanger, it keeps the hold down from sliding to the bottom of the pole when I'm stretching the tubing to hook the the release into the small carabiner. The carabiner is a rated mini carabiner made by Kong. I would not use a cheap key chain carabiner for this kind of use scenario.
-AJ

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #138060 by moss
How I attach the tubing to the pouch, detail not shown, I flip the ends just above the pouch loops to form a "collar" to finish on each side if that makes sense. Requires rubbing alcohol and needle nose pliers to pull the tapered end through the hole. I used to burn a hole with a piece of hot metal round stock, now I just cut a short slit with a sharp utility blade. It's a pain in the butt, takes some trial and error to learn, you'll waste some tubing along the way. I always measure the tubing for the install on the head AFTER I install the tubing on the pouch because I never know how much tubing will be wasted doing the pouch install. Better you get at it the less tubing you'll waste.

-AJ

• inspectorgadget
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #138093 by inspectorgadget
Replied by inspectorgadget on topic Hi from New Hampshire
Andrew,
Thanks again for all the help with building a big shot. I got the tubing and followed your suggestions and sketches. I tried to private message you my address, but apparently I didn't do it right as your last message indicated you didn't get it. You said I could make a pouch as good as the OEM on you offered. So I tried and made one for leather and 1/2" webbing from looking at pictures in catalogs. It's working great!!! The only problem is the trees we have here in NH have lots of primarily upward reaching limbs to deal with snow load, which makes it hard to get a throw line through the density of limbs and for the down-coming end to come down the same path as the up-going end for the moving rope system I'm using. Which gives the Static Rope Technique a significant advantage in this situation, but requires more hardware than I can afford at this time, and lifting more weight with each pull that I'm not up to yet. Anyway, I'm not going to need the pouch you offered me. Thanks a lot though.
I'v been up in a good size multi-trunked White Pine that we need to do a partial removal and pruning on. Three hours there today and less time the last two days also. Good learning on techniques for advancing an anchor point, and strength building, and a lot of fun!!
Good trees to you,
Russ

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds