New from alabama

• Painterman8736
  • Painterman8736's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #137749 by Painterman8736
New from alabama was created by Painterman8736
Greetings form Alabama. I watched the basics DVD do you think it would work well on roofs to paint dormers. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #137752 by moss
Replied by moss on topic New from alabama

Painterman8736 wrote: Greetings form Alabama. I watched the basics DVD do you think it would work well on roofs to paint dormers. Thanks

Not so much unless you're roping out of a tree. For DRT you'll need to protect the rope from abrasion where it contacts roof shingles, you can wreck a rope pretty quickly running it over asphalt shingles with your weight on the rope. Also...typical roofer or aerial worker systems are single rope (or two single ropes) with a shock absorbing lanyard built in the life support chain. Tree climbing harnesses are not made or rated for that type of work, typically some type of body harness is used for fall protection on a roof. If you look up "at height safety equipment" you'll see what I mean. I've done some work on roofs with my tree gear but only when I can rope out of a tree and my potential fall path/swing is well within safe parameters.
-AJ

• Painterman8736
  • Painterman8736's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #137754 by Painterman8736
Replied by Painterman8736 on topic New from alabama
Hey thanks for the awesome tips. Can you direct me to any websites for any gear or training. Thanks

More
7 years 2 months ago #137756 by patty
Replied by patty on topic New from alabama
Hi Joe,

If it's tree climbing training you're looking for, check out the education section of this website. We've got plenty of options. If it's not, maybe Moss has some suggestions for where you can learn about painting high areas.

Best regards,
Patty J.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #137757 by moss
Replied by moss on topic New from alabama

Painterman8736 wrote: Hey thanks for the awesome tips. Can you direct me to any websites for any gear or training. Thanks

There are two main organizations that do "working at height" training, certification etc, IRATA and SPRAT. The level 1 cert is usually sufficient for working on roofs. You can also do the research and learn many of the concepts on your own but a good program and quality instructors is a great path if you can do it. Like roped tree climbing, working safely at height requires a mix of safety awareness, cautious/strategic work plans, education, and the right safety gear for the task.

Examples of roof safety gear kits

IRATA

Rope access training overview

-AJ
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by moss.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds