Want to try climbing

• Bonna
  • Bonna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137355 by Bonna
Want to try climbing was created by Bonna
Hey! B)

I have watched some videos from Treefool the past days, and man, tree climbing seems so cool. The only problem is where should I start... I guess I should go on a climbing course of some kind. So whats your recommendation? Is it possible to start small, buy a book maybe and learn it by yourself?
Also, what kind of gear do you need for tree climbing? I currently live in Norway, and thats where I will climb.

Thanks! - Bjørnar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137356 by rob2312
Replied by rob2312 on topic Want to try climbing
I had the same question 6 months ago. Last Christmas wife ordered me Tree Climbing Basics dvd (peter Jenkins "treeman"). Then I ordered the tree climbing package from wes spur (comes with all you need- rope, helmet, throw line, ect.)

• Bonna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137358 by Bonna
Replied by Bonna on topic Want to try climbing
May I ask what gear you own? :)

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #137359 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Want to try climbing
Hi Bjomar,

Patty Jenkins here, I run TCI with my husband, Peter ("Treeman"). Welcome aboard! Glad to see you coming here to learn about tree climbing.

We made the DVD that Rob is referring to in 2006, and it is still selling to climbers all over the world. It's available in our webstore or from major vendors in the U.S. You might want to purchase that, or take a look at our "Home Study" course , which includes the DVD and TCI membership (with its benefits). Among other things, the course has a very full description of the different kinds of tree climbing gear needed by a beginner (and with the DVD I can send you a flyer about the gear kits we sell).

We look forward to hearing more from you!

All the best,
patty
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by patty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bonna

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137360 by rob2312
I own a bunch of gear. Do not know if I can recount it here but will give it a try. An onyx new tribe saddle, 150 foot fire rope, 120 foot hedera helix rope, apta, saka, magthrow bags, Steel core lanyard, various tree rigging ropes, helmet, yella grapple, cmi foot ascender, 2 rope savers, 10 throw bags, double handled ascender, rope wrench and runner, another 25 foot rope lanyard, chest harness, 5 double locking carbineers, 2 steel Big dan carbineers, binoculars, 500 feet throw line, working climbing dvd complete set, the art and science dvd set, and basic tree climbing dvd. Art of rigging book, and all of jep jepsons books. Felt like I missed something but you don't have to buy all that. I am just curious and want to learn the best way that works for me. I consider myself more of a working climber. You must also realize that I am not a big fan of heights, but I do it because I want to try something different and make tree work safer. Six months ago I did not climb, I pulled trees with trucks and come-along. However, a year ago I had a close call with felling a tree from ground level, so I decided to learn how to climb. I do continue to try to learn everyday. Tommorrow I am heading to mountains for two days with Bob Wray to learn different ways to use knots and reach the outer branches.

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137361 by rob2312
Went out to my gear and knew I missed stuff :) 2 hitch climbers, 3 prusick cords, and a rescue figure 8 and a hand pump for my apta. I feel like a Christmas song coming on like this: 10 carbineers, 9 throw weights, 8 throwlines, 7 ascenders, 6 climbling ropes, 5 prusick cords, 4 rigging ropes, 3 cambium savers, 2 hitch climbers, and 1 tree climber standing. I might sing that at the next jambo.

• Bonna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137362 by Bonna
Thanks so much for the response!

Another thing, I want to try to buy used gear, to save money, what should I look for in a climbing harness? What is important? Other than the fact that it is not worn out and damaged.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #137363 by patty
Buying used gear is not a good idea, but especially if you know next to nothing about tree climbing or the gear required. Remember: The saddle and other equipment you use to climb must support you -- gear failure is not an option!! If your gear fails, you get hurt or die. Inexperienced climbers are very vulnerable to not seeing hidden (or even obvious) defects in used gear. The best advice I can give you is that you should not try to save money on gear. Buy good gear from a reputable source.

I urge you to read the "TreeClimbing" section on our website. There's alot of very good information -- including about gear -- that will help you enormously!

Keep asking questions!!

patty
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by patty.

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137364 by rob2312
Just got back from climbing at Bob Wray's school. I will give an update once pics come in. As far as used gear, I would not buy any. You never know what the person used it for. It could be simple as a carbineer that they have used for rigging and you see no danger, but all rigging and climbing gear are used for their separate purpose. I say just buy new gear you can afford now. Read the reviews of different gear and compare costs. I have spent a lot of money on gear, but can tell you more money doesn't exactly equal the "best" stuff out there. Case in point: Just spent $375 on the "best" climbing spikes for dead tree removal. My friend doesn't like mine because they do not go around the shin. I thought I had the "best". But really you just have to learn what will work for you and buy new.

• Bonna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137365 by Bonna
Thanks for the response! I think I'll buy new. But! what kind of mm should I buy on the static rope? I was thinking 10. I want to buy a grigri and an ascender, but its a bit more expensive than an atc tho.

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137366 by rob2312
All my ropes are 1/2"(13mm) and they are not static. Have 150' xtc yale fire and 120'stein hedera rope. I have not used a grigri or the atc. Eventually I will get a static rope, but not this year. I have heard people complain about the thinner rope gets hard to hold onto. Some other people on this forum would have a better answer for that equipment. Moss has been very helpful to me. You can go into his profile and send a message.

More
8 years 10 months ago #137368 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Want to try climbing
For the Petzl Grigri II (current model) any rope diameter over 10mm is like squeezing sausage through it. 10mm is hard to grab and a 10mm static kernmantle rope is much less supple than a rope designed and constructed for arborist/tree climbing use. The Grigri II is a bit flimsy for tree climbing but will work. The Petzl Rig is better for tree climbing and it fits a wider range of rope diameters. 11 to 11.5mm is a good all round range for a tree climbing rope. Visit the arborist supply web sites to see ropes that are specifically made for tree climbing.
-AJ

More
8 years 10 months ago #137369 by patty
Bonna,

We strongly recommend that you learn DRT climbing and get some experience with it before you try SRT. New climbers should stick with the very basics! Don't take your life in your hands before you're ready!

patty
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tree-D

• Bonna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #137374 by Bonna
Hey again!
I think Ill buy 5 carabiners, but what types should I buy? Just auto locking carabiners? And maybe 1 oval or pear carabiner?

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #137376 by rob2312
I have Petzl AM'D ball locking gate carabineers. I only issue I have had is the prusick cord sliding on the carabineer if your not paying attention. I used a piece of slingshot rubber to stop that. As far as the shapes and sizes of carabineers are based on what all you going to do. My rope runner suggests an oval Rock-o carabineer, so I have one. I do a lot of cinched Srt, so I use a steel big dan carbineer for that.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds