Hello, Fellow Climbers!

• Sycamore Flats
  • Sycamore Flats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 11 months ago #137311 by Sycamore Flats
Hello, Fellow Climbers! was created by Sycamore Flats
Hey, folks! My name is Wes Ballard. I've been a rock climber and tree worker (low-level stuff) in the past and recently rediscovered tree climbing. I'm also interested in doing some basic tree-trimming, especially around my house. In real life, I am a special education teacher (emotionally challenged kids---self-contained classroom). I took to tree climbing instantly! I look forward to doing more in the climbing community. I would love to be a recreational instructor! :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #137312 by rob2312
Replied by rob2312 on topic Hello, Fellow Climbers!
Welcome to the forum. I started climbing a couple months ago, and learning whatever I can to do tree work. Climbing rope is new to me and the rigging aspect. But have done lots of tree removals that are considered "safe". Meaning falling the right direction with the aid of ropes, come-alongs, trucks etc.. But had a close-call 6 months ago that got me interested in climbing. I started to realize being higher in a tree had advantages. So I am trying to learn what I can to make the work safer. Also in a couple years I would love to teach people to climb. I know from my experience that everything seems so confusing at first. Coupled with my hesitation of being up high in a tree and trusting my climbing components. I know this will pass with more climbs. But eventually would be a great opportunity to teach people that were once in my position once I have the knowledge and experience.

• Sycamore Flats
  • Sycamore Flats's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 11 months ago #137313 by Sycamore Flats
Replied by Sycamore Flats on topic Hello, Fellow Climbers!
Howdy, rob2313! Your experience and goals sound a lot like mine.

I had a lifetime first yesterday. I climbed, limbed, topped, and dropped my first tree! It was about a sixty-foot pine I needed to take out to build a workshop. I just took my time, thought through each successive step, and if I got a little nervous, I just stopped to take in the view! It was windy (15-20 mph). The tree was swaying about 3 feet . . . didn't make things any easier! In summary, it feels good to push myself beyond self-imposed limits and succeed. This is something I've always wanted to add to my skill set. Also, I figured I will save the cost of my equipment after two or three more trees vs. paying someone to do the removals.

Plus, I also have all the stuff to rec climb, too! :)

Godspeed! Climb safe---climb often! Hope our paths cross one day!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds