Planet Earth - Forests

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #132925 by Baker
Planet Earth - Forests was created by Baker
Has anyone seen the \"Forests\" episode of the Discovery Channel's Planet Earth series?

The scenes, shot in high definition, are amazing. Maybe the people climbing the giants are TCI members?

The following link doesn't do the videography justice. You REALLY have to rent or buy the series to truly appreciate it.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/planet-earth-forests-redwood-forest/1107287552/?icid=VIDURVSCI08
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Baker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #133099 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Planet Earth - Forests
I just saw the \"Jungle\" part of the series at a friends house, made me want to go to the Amazon and stay there awhile. Great film work in the series. Looking forward to seeing the Forest piece. I looked at the clip you pointed to, the climbers looked like researchers. An easy guess based on the ease of their climbing motion (time spent climbing in big conifers adds up to good skills) and the fact that research permits are required in old-growth redwood preserves.
-moss

More
15 years 2 months ago #133189 by zionstree
Replied by zionstree on topic Re:Planet Earth - Forests
What sort of set up are they using for the traverse between two trees? I could see two ropes but not much more detail than that.
Cheers

More
15 years 1 month ago #133300 by HooT
Replied by HooT on topic Re:Planet Earth - Forests
The Forest segment of the BBC's Planet Earth series is indeed quite amazing, and it was very inspiring to see some aerial footage of a tall tree climb. The 'high altitude' traverse did make me wonder if there is a thread in the climbing section of the forum dedicated to traverses ~ anybody know?

I would recommend buying or renting this episode to anyone who loves trees in any regard, but especially to those of us who love spending time up in them. Their cinematography of the changing seasons (and what it must have taken to pull that off) is simply stunning.

ciao!

HooT

So many Trees... So little Time!

More
15 years 1 month ago #133307 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Planet Earth - Forests
HooT wrote:

....The 'high altitude' traverse did make me wonder if there is a thread in the climbing section of the forum dedicated to traverses ~ anybody know?

Not that I know of. Would be good to start one. I take it you're referring to a traverse across a fixed line attached to both trees? As opposed to a DRT traverse where you re-pitch your way into a second tree?
-moss

More
15 years 1 month ago #133315 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Planet Earth - Forests
Baker, I'm almost certain that the climber in red is Steve Silett.

Great Video. I might get the series now!

Michael

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds