TCIA article on recreational tree climbing

• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126677 by tengu12
Abe Winters from TCUSA has just informed me about the Dec. issue of Tree Care Industry mag. had an article on recreational tree climbing. Heres the link, pg. 42

http://128.241.193.252/PDFs/TCI_Mag_Dec05_web.pdf

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126686 by moss
Great article, this is the kind of piece that will open doors for rec climbing. I'm going to print it out and carry it with me as a handout when I'm out climbing.
-moss

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129749 by geofk12
Replied by geofk12 on topic TCIA article on recreational tree climbing
Are there any other great articles that you think could be put into a proposal that might convince a city / county to approve tree climbig wihtin their propery?

Geof

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129764 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic TCIA article on recreational tree climbing
What part of this concept got missed???
This is exactly the point in the Norman Bird Sanctuary thread.

You are beginning to give a purpose & legitimacy to the act of recreational climbing. The Norman Bird Sanctuary climb is an outstanding example of this!

Yes. A purpose, even if it is remote and abstract. “We would gladly donate to your cause (bird Sanctuary in this case) if you would permit our group to climb”.

Without me yapping about walk-a-thons, bike a thons, trail clean-up meets, and other volunteer outings. . .
It would be a tremendous boost to the acceptance of our sport if a slice of legitimacy could be tied into it.

I, personally, thought the Norman Bird Sanctuary climb was an outstanding example of permissive climbing etiquette employed by moss. Perhaps a “grand leap” in the right direction on this issue!

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129834 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Top of the Spire at 115.5 Meters-

Must see TV-

VIDEO LINK

This video has a most peaceful feel to it, maybe it is the sound track, maybe it is the narrators honey smooth voice, maybe it is the forest. Being on site and on rope to measure the tallest tree has to be electricfying.

Only 1%

That is all that is left.

1%

Breaks my heart to think that our children may have to visit a museum once the build all the parking lots.

See you at the top of what we have left,
Dan

ps that image was cut.pasted from Sherrills and is not the actual tree. The location is top secret to delay peak-bagging rec climbers from making a path.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129835 by moss

Originally posted by Electrojake
I, personally, thought the Norman Bird Sanctuary climb was an outstanding example of permissive climbing etiquette employed by moss. Perhaps a “grand leap” in the right direction on this issue!

Thanks EJ, just trying to keep moving forward to make it happen.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds