New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7

• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124644 by ponderosa
New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7 was created by ponderosa
Outside of them not shooting my good side (since I don't have one), my only complaint has to do with the writer implying that rec TC might be "wimpier" than rock climbing. Anyway, check it out at:
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/01/07/travel/escapes/07RITU.html?oref=regi

You may have to sign-in (Free) to access this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124651 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7
Yes, a pretty good article! One thing that made me stomach tighten up a bit was, "In the tradition of mountaineering, the first climber to conquer a tree is understood to have the right to name it."

Maybe mountaineers do feel that they "conquer" a mountain, bit I prefer to think that we befriend a tree--that we enter into a close and positive relationship with it.

Peace.

Jim

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124655 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Nice Article
That was a good representative article. I was surprised to find it so thorough in scope.

JimK

• pattyjenkins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124658 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic "Take a Bough"
In our next issue, Tree Climbing Online will establish a new column called "Take a Bough" (title courtesy of my courageous blind/deaf cousin who Peter put in a tree about 3 years ago) to congratulate and publicize great things that TCI instructors, facilitators, and members have accomplished. Harv's article gets first mention. Congrats to you, Harv!
If anybody knows of other folks whose activities should be written up for our column, please let us know!
With a big smile,
Patty

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124664 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7
Thanks Patty.

Jim W, I wasn't thrilled with the "conquer" bit either. (Note that it wasn't a quote.) What I said was something like "first climber, if a name suggests itself."

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124665 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7
After I posted the comment, I realized I should have said that I believed it was the writer--not you, Harv--who chose the word "conquer."

I'm truly pleased that you brought us such fine publicity!

Peace.

Jim

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124681 by wahoo101
Replied by wahoo101 on topic NY Times article comment
Went to the site, signed on (a breeze), and printed out the article. Validation is good for the scoffers and those whose ears perk up at the sound of something new and exciting. One observation on the cell phone in the tree trick - put it on a line - I dropped one and never did find it (a camera phone with some nice shots in it). I did a climb next to a lake, brought my sky chair and a good book up and even napped a bit - verrrry peaceful. Climb high, climb safe. Ben and Logan from Anacortes.:D

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124703 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7
That is one great article! I'm always amazed when journalists get it at least half right (apologies to any good journalists reading this. My experiences being misquoted has me a bit jaded.), but this one seemed to have a pretty good idea of what it's all about. Did you get him to go up?

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124709 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic New York Times (Escapes Section) Jan. 7
Yes, much of what he wrote was from our climb. He did pretty well for a first timer.

I think the difference in the accuracies of some of the media coverage can be traced to fact checking. Publications like the New York Times employ fact checkers who are independent of both the author and the newspaper. In this case, a lady from Seattle called to check on some of the more technical aspects, after the original story was written. Unfortunately, she didn't run some of the more editorial comments by me. But so it goes, all in all a very good piece.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds