Who started as a rec. climber and are now pro?

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #137201 by treeman
I was asked the other day if I knew how many recreational tree climbers migrated into the professional side- doing tree work. I didn't have an exact number, but I know of a few that made it into the ranks of working climbers. Were you one, or do you know of one that took that learning route?

Could you give me a brief history of how you did it?

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #137204 by moss
That would be me Treeman, you know my story. I'd be glad to recount it if you'd like it out there. It's probably very different for every climber who follows this path but my style of climbing and approach to a task is not the standard pro climber way, ie: I want to make my quote but I also want to climb as smartly as possible and keep my body and mind happy. When I've done contract climbing I've had to spend too much time justifying my gear, my technique and my mental approach to climbing and work, often foreign to whoever I'm working for. The other part of it is I'll never consider any tree a "junk species", every tree and species has unique characteristics and history, respect for that is a good place to start when approaching a tree for work or rec. It is important to me that work climbing does not damage my love for climbing and the trees, I keep that in mind daily.
-AJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevo

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #137230 by treeman
Thanks Moss.
Hear you were workin' in 16 degree weather. You are either tuff or........(speechless).

Treeamn

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
9 years 3 months ago #137231 by moss
I climbed today at 0 degrees f., it was slow because my hands kept freezing up. Definitely nice to climb in the slightly warmer temps!
-AJ

More
9 years 1 week ago #137319 by Luthermar
Replied by Luthermar on topic Who started as a rec. climber and are now pro?
I have always climbed trees even as a kid I loved to get up in a well branched sweet gum or Tulip poplar not knowing anything of safety!! I started rock climbing and adapted this to tree climbing (all this before internet info or knowing anything about ISA, etc) I purchased some basic gear, and figured out a friction knot and started doing some "tree work" on the side. I finally met some people in the industry that introduced me to ISA, Arborist Workshops, ropes and rigging, Dr Alex Shigo, etc and I fell in line with industry standards about a year after going full time in tree work and that was 20 years ago. I could not afford to be an employee starting out in tree work - that's a good way to go if you get in with the right company. But I added to my knowledge and my climbing "toolbox" a little at a time and became proficient in the up-to-date climbing methods. I was blessed to find a great partner whose business skills complemented my technical skills and after 20 years we have over 60 employees. I climb when I want to now.

• redtreevoleclimber
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #137618 by redtreevoleclimber
Replied by redtreevoleclimber on topic Who started as a rec. climber and are now pro?
I learned to climb SRT with slings and prussiks and then turned that skill into citizen science. I now am a paid climber for wildlife surveys and I do saw topping for habitat creation in federal lands plantations. I also do all my friends and neighbors tree work as I have learned by working with an arborist friend. My paid work all came from my experience as a volunteer climber. I would have climbed recreationally, but I combined my desire to climb with finding threatened species.

check my introduction post, it details my journey in a little more detail:
http://treeclimbing.com/index.php/forum/new-climbers-introduce-yourself/136581-new-to-tci-a-cascadian-red-tree-vole-climber#137616

More
7 years 10 months ago #137621 by Oldtown138
Replied by Oldtown138 on topic Who started as a rec. climber and are now pro?
I started rec climbing immediately after I first discovered its existence from a documentary on redwood canopy research. I saved up, purchased some basic gear and begun teaching myself. During my undergrad work I conducted my own canopy research study in Southeastern Ohio. That study led to me getting my dream job as a full time tree climber with USDA on the Asian Longhorn Beetle Eradication Program. I am now a certified tree climber through the USFS and climb trees every day in search of trees infested with ALB. It is a great feeling to get paid to do what I love!

More
7 years 5 months ago #137694 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Who started as a rec. climber and are now pro?
Me totally! I started climbing in college. Just for fun. Using all rock climbing equipment at first. After college I started dragging brush for The Care of Trees in Chicago and eventually become a working climber, then years later a certified arborist.

Now I own my own tree service!!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds