Life line

• Alplantz26
  • Alplantz26's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 3 months ago #136265 by Alplantz26
Life line was created by Alplantz26
Hello everyone I have a question when logging down a tree and there's no branches or stubs left and I'm buck strapped in what's the best way or how do you attach your life line around the tree so your tied in twice, so I guess my question is there a way to tie your climb line around the tree and being able to keep advancing it down the tree as I climb down cutting sections off sorry if this a dumb question?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alplantz26
  • Alplantz26's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 3 months ago #136266 by Alplantz26
Replied by Alplantz26 on topic Life line
Or another question is once I get the stub logged down to a decent height and want to repel back down with my climb line how would I go about setting my life line up for that with no crotch?

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #136268 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Life line
Welcome aboard Alplantz. So you're taking down a tree. Limbs are off and you're chunking it down. Correct? OK. So you have the stub/butt log left standing and you want to repell down.the way I used to do it requires a split tail. ...
Throw your climbing line around the stub and secure it with a running bowline. Sinch it nice and snug against the trunk. Using your split tail, tie your climbers hitch on the down rope and down you go. Once on the ground, untie the hitch and give the rope a good shake. The bowline will loosen and come right down. Or, move the rope out of harms way and drop the stub. Untie your rope once the log is down. Easy.

As far as being tied in twice while chunking your way down, use your lanyard and simply use your climbing line as a second lanyard. Piece of cake.

Oh. Please pardon any crazy misspellings. The auto correct on this phone has a mind of its own. A mind that's been hit in the head apparently. Maddening.

Ron
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by 2chops. Reason: stupid auto correct corections.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #136305 by Treedude22
Replied by Treedude22 on topic Life line
Alplantz,

Before we begin let's be clear that the questions you pose are technical and as such in-depth knowledge and most importantly practice. SO with the below solutions please go low and slow (as in a few feet off the ground) and progress from there. Have firm grasp of the intricacies involved before working, cutting or rigging at height.

My first recommendation is an adjustable two ring friction saver. This will allow you to easily move from regular tie in point to a cinching type one.

Next would be a pulley saver or rope guide. The pulley saver is pictured and can be manufactured at home. Be forewarned: homemade versions require some tweaking for reliable retrieval!

Last suggestion would be as stated in the post before mine. However, loop the tail, or fall of your line, below you climbing hitch, through a carabiner as pictured. When lowering use a break hand on the tail to help absorb some of the friction. This loop through the tail of the running bowline is also vital for retrieval

Here it is pictured with a GriGri as opposed to a hitch. Think RADS.

What is important to understand about this system is that the friction hitch will be absorbing twice the weight as it would in a doubled rope system. Therefore, the hitch will become touchy and prone to binding and/or sudden release. My preferred method is this, but I use a HMS carabiner and tie a munter hitch in the top carabiner, then use a brake hand as described.

Of course you could always use a hitch hiker, rope wrench or mechanical device rated for stationary line work such as the Petzl rig or I'D.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Tony
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Treedude22.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds