Climbing solo

• dogwood
  • dogwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #136247 by dogwood
Climbing solo was created by dogwood
There's a beautiful woods across the street from where I live. It's a wild place, with groves of beeches and oaks, tulip trees, maples, sweet gum, loblolly pine, etc. Since the Rendezvous, my passion for treeclimbing has been re-lit. Got myself a BigShot, and I'm climbing again. Thing is, I've been scolded by friends who say I shouldn't go it alone. I'd love to climb with someone, but if I had to wait for that person it might never happen. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #136251 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Climbing solo
Easy for them to give you grief when they don't have to wait and look for and hope they can find another climber within a reasonable drive from where they live to go climb with. Forget them. Just be careful when you go. When you do go, leave a note with accurate directions of where you'll be, how long you plan to be there and when you expect to be back. That way if things go wrong, and you don't show up when you should, thay can send help and know where to send it. I think most of us are in the same tree boat in regards to solo climbing. There just aren't a lot of us climbers around. I solo all the time. Another idea is to get a hiking buddy if you're going in the bush for some wild climbs. That way they can go for a walk about while you go on rope. Then at a designated time, you two can meet back up at a designated spot. If neither one shows up then, well, you can figure out the rest. Climbing with a partner is fun and adds another dimension to it all. But I do enjoy the solitude also.

Ron

• dogwood
  • dogwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #136252 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Climbing solo
Good point about leaving a note. I bring my phone in case of emergency, but mostly I take my time; it's not a race. It's good to get encouragement from those who say "Yes, go for it!" Thanks Ron

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds