• TheHollow
  • TheHollow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #136047 by TheHollow
Is the training worth it? was created by TheHollow
Hello!

I was at the earth day exhibition in Dallas last weekend and saw the TCI climbing event. I came with friends and wasn't really able to experience it but I did take a brochure with me and I've been reading the information. I have free climbed pretty much my entire life and I was really excited about the possibility of going higher, being safer, and maybe someday camping in a tree or traversing from one tree to another without touching the ground.

I work full time and live here in Dallas, and while I could arrange for a vacation to Atlanta the expense is a little daunting. The price of one course alone is more than I make in two weeks. I could easily spend that much on a community college course sans books, not to mention a significant chunk of my monthly rent. I was excited by the prospect of the online course even though I haven't a clue where I could find a reviewer in my area.

I know I am new and I mean no disrespect to any of the folks here who have spent good money on the training. However, in my position I have to be frank and realistic about all of this. I already bought the tree climbing companion that was offered at the event and I saw Treeman's DVD although I haven't bought it yet. I'm an eagle scout with lots of rope, rock climbing, and rappelling experience. Do you guys think I could figure this out from the information in books and DVDs?

I like TCI. I like to think that I would get along with the people there and have a great time climbing trees. I know you guys have to eat somehow too so I'm not here to complain about the price of anything. I'm just having trouble justifying the money spent on even the online course.

I acknowledge the fact that I would not be able to take the advanced course in Atlanta unless I first had a basic climbing certification from TCI. But what else will that certification do for me? And then there is the problem of gear to buy...

I really think this would be a wonderful adventure. But I am very uncertain about all of it. Please advise me.

Thanks in advance to everybody!
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by TheHollow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #136048 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re: Is the training worth it?
Hollow, Welcome aboard. I'll give you my 2 yen worth, from where I came from.

In a nut shell, yes, you can learn how to climb using the combination of Jepson's book and Treeman's "Tree Climbing Basics" video. BUT,... a few cautionary notes.

Regarding Jepson's book, "The Tree Climbers Companion", 2nd edition. It is a very good book worth it's weight in gold. However, A WARNING ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATION ON PAGE 53 SHOWING THE BLAKES HITCH. It is HORRIBLY WRONG!! The tail should pass OVER the bridge and then go BEHIND the running end before weaving it up through the bottom two coils. The illustration on page 83 does show it properly. This is the only problem I have seen in this book.

Peters video is very thorough. Watch it 15 times before going up the tree. Study it, tie the knots 28 times in your living room before trying them in a tree. Do everything very slowly. Think every move through 6 times from 4 different angles before advancing. If you're wondering about the numbers I chose, it's because I know you'll not do quite that many. If you get lazy and don't do quite that many, you should still be ok. Please prove me wrong.

So, having said all that, even with your prior knowledge and climbing experience, trees are not rocks and the equipment for the two climbing mediums are different. Learn how the tree stuff feels and behaves. AND, find an experienced tree climber and have them watch you set up and tie in. There has to be a tree care company in your area that will have someone who can give you some pointers.

No matter how much you think you know, YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME PERSONAL INSTRUCTION EARLY ON IN YOUR LEARNING CURVE. Can't stress it enough. I first learned to climb while doing line clearance for the local power company. It was all spiking due to working with in an arms reach of 7.5KV lines. But I had good teachers from the get go. I learned the TCI method from Peter's video. But at that time I had been climbing for about a year. The skills I picked up from the vid helped me on the job big time. Point being, I had personal, very experienced instructors early on.

Is the price of the trip to ATL worth it? Depends on how you look at it. I trained with Peter for the Facilitators course. Part of the training was going through the Basics course. At that point I had done a lot of climbing in many situations, and still learned some cool tricks. Picked the brain of the master. To me it was worth the trip from PA.

There's my 2 yen for now.

Ron

More
10 years 10 months ago #136053 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re: Is the training worth it?
My opinion is that you cannot put a monetary valve on the benefits of any education. I know all of the good tree climbing instructors and you can only appreciate Peter’s wealth of knowledge after you have earned it. Sounds like you are talented and the skills you learned came with a price weighted between dollars and hours; each of us has little to spare. Spend money gain knowledge less time? Choose two.

See you at the top,
Dan House

More
10 years 10 months ago #136054 by Treedude22
Replied by Treedude22 on topic Re: Is the training worth it?
I agree with above two statements, but would also add that we each have our own pace and there are many ways to learn safe tree climbing. A formal course with a good instructor has many benefits. Corresponding with other climbers through the various means available has benefits. Reading and self teaching has benefits. Combined they become a wonderful adventure and voyage in any topic/venture.

I recommend good training, as I make a living providing it, but in and of itself it is not the end all and be all. (Now there is a bag full of words;)

There are other ways. They may be slower, but arrive at the same ending point. May paths, so to speak, formal training being just one.

What are your goals? Do you have a time frame? How far do you wish to take this tree climbing adventure? How best can you match these wants/needs to your income? These are the questions to answer, the map to follow.

My best,

Tony

• TheHollow
  • TheHollow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #136057 by TheHollow
Replied by TheHollow on topic Re: Is the training worth it?
I can acknowledge the value of a formfal course. If money were no object I would have scheduled for one of Treeman's immediately.

I really like the idea of exploring a world that many people.never see. The art and skill of moving around safely in the canopy is something I would eventually want to learn how to do.

As for a time frame. I am not in a huge hurry. Saving up over a long period of time is not a bad idea. It would certainly test my resolve about the whole thing. Perhaps I should become a member first and try to use the climber finder. I regret not being able to have participated in the group climb at the earthday fair, perhaps a generous member would allow me to see what climbing a tree with a rope and saddle is like first hand?

I think I need to meet more climbers and get a real world feel for what happens.

Thank you guys so much for the insight and patience. I hope to be able to join in the fun.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds