Woopie foot loop

• mguevara
  • mguevara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #135946 by mguevara
Woopie foot loop was created by mguevara
Excuse my ignorance or inexperience but I am wanting to make a woopie foot sling to replace the two webbing loops that I am currently using for my petzl ascender, one to my foot and the other to my delta on my harness. JB. HOLDWAY on YouTube or I think he goes by the name single Jack on treeBuzz has a most excellent design. I know nick had one on his website but the video is gone. Anyway enough blabbing, the problem I am having is finding the type of rope that is the best to use. I did see a site where all they did was strip the inside of the rope out and splice the woopie out of the outer sheath, I know that some ropes have most of their strength on the outer sheath but I'm not sure I like that idea for backup life support. Coming from the Land of The Long White Cloud (New Zealand) I also have the problem of only about two arborist stores in the intire country and a rather large freight bill if I bring in anything from the US.
What are you guys and girls using out there?

AT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #135947 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Woopie foot loop
Here is what I think they were using for splicing the woopie foot loop. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1064

I currently have a webbing foot loop, however when it wears out I will probably splice up my own up as well. Instead of making a loopie, I will just use a piece of tubular webbing to cinch down on the foot loop. Foot loops do not need to be life supportive.

If you are trying to save money you could just find some 1" webbing and stitch up a foot loop.

• mguevara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #135948 by mguevara
Replied by mguevara on topic Re:Woopie foot loop
I think I am being too cautious where I don't need to be, two life supports are better than one but as long as my knots are secure, my grigri is in good order and I have a good tie in all should be well. A webbing foot loop would more than likely be a lot lighter also, something else to consider. Mmmmmmmm
Might make one just to say I did though, part of the fun of climbing is making bits an pieces you don't really need but get enjoyment out of doing it anyway....
Found a site that recommended tenex tec by Sampson, will see if I can get a few meters. In the mean time will make up a webbing foot loop.
Cheers for the advice.

AT

• mguevara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #135951 by mguevara
I have found a supplier for Sampson ropes, I got hold of six meters of tenex tec, he only had the 1/2 inch in stock so I used it to make a sling and thought if it worked out well I would get some of the 10 mm and after the practice making it out of the 1/2" I should be able to make it a tad better.

I have some photos but will need to make them smaller to be able to post

AT
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by mguevara.

More
11 years 3 months ago #135952 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Woopie foot loop
You should make your own wire fid if you haven't already. I made two wire fids, a short one and a long one for splicing small and large diameter rope.

My favorite prussic cord is Samson Ice. It seems to hold up to the heat better.

I hope your foot loop turns out well. Maybe post a picture when your done.

• mguevara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 3 months ago #135953 by mguevara
Unfortunately I need to get on my computer to downsize the photos, maybe tonight.
What diameter wire did you use for your fids?
I was looking at my lanyard on the weekend while hanging from it thinking that I might look at a different rope to use as my prussic cord. Do you splice it for eye to eye and use it as life support? Was thinking of making a tender for my lanyard with a small pulley. Must admit it was a bit daunting hanging twenty meters up without having my feet on something, why I was looking so closely at it I suppose. Haven't had a second pitch in that scenario so a certain part of my anatomy was tweaking hehe.
Interested to hear more

AT

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds