• moonbeam
  • moonbeam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #135672 by moonbeam
Taking paraplegics into trees was created by moonbeam
Hello all,

As a facilitator I've taken some wheelchair bound folks into trees and was told it was a life-changing experience for them.

I had some feedback on the "feel" of New Tribe harnesses and wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

One guy was extremely picky about his harness and said the tie in point was too high and he didn't have enough back support. I balanced him out with a chest harness but he still seemed a bit uncomfortable. (his injury was from a fall at height so he may have just been nervous)

I had feedback from another person that the harness "felt a little weird" for them at first but then was fine after some adjustment. I wanted to chalk it up to the feeling of missing back support once they left their wheelchair.

Has anyone else had this type of feedback? How did you handle it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #135674 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Taking paraplegics into trees
Welcome to the forum Moonbeam,

Although I have not had experience yet taking paraplegics climbing I will soon. Here is a link to post I started a wile back: http://treeclimbing.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=49&func=view&catid=274&id=135423

I recently bought a Newtribe saddle for my friend to use and I am hoping to eventually save up enough to buy the Petzle ID descender. The ID will be used in conjunction with the RADS system because it allows a quick change over from ascent to descent.

I am also interested in any input anyone might have.

More
12 years 2 months ago #135675 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Taking paraplegics into trees
Based on the feedback from your climbers I'm thinking some kind of rated fabric chair/sling would be good. You could put the climber in a rock harness for comfort/backup and then have them sit in the chair/sling.
-AJ

• moonbeam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #135676 by moonbeam
Replied by moonbeam on topic Re:Taking paraplegics into trees
I read the link. There is quite a difference between someone who has partial use of legs versus no use of legs. That said, I am now wrapping my head around how I could incorporate a chest roller and whether that would create a more vertical position for the climber.

• moonbeam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #135677 by moonbeam
Thanks Moss. The nice thing about the style I teach now is that it really is not much different from a typical climber except that they don't use their legs. A chair would be just plain cool for anyone to use actually. There are times when I just want to chill out in a chair rather than hang by a harness! I like the idea.

More
12 years 2 months ago #135679 by Treezybreez
moonbeam wrote:

I read the link. There is quite a difference between someone who has partial use of legs versus no use of legs.

Yes, I agree. I thought about this after I posted. Hands only climbing.

By the way instead of using a chest roller I am going to try using a revolver carabiner and fabricate a chest harness for it. That makes it a little more affordable, if it works.

• moonbeam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #135683 by moonbeam
Interesting idea. Let us know how it works.

• moonbeam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135715 by moonbeam
I'm also following up with Tree Climbing Japan since they have a non-profit that has quite a bit of experience in this area. I'd love to see standards for it.

More
12 years 1 month ago #135718 by Treezybreez
I looked at Tree Climbing Japan's website and I am impressed with their ministry. Apparently they haven't finished their website yet; hopefully soon though.

Do you know what system they use for paraplegics?

• moonbeam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #135719 by moonbeam
Hmmm, I think their website has been the same for years. Not sure what system they use. I suspect very similar to what I use (standard DRT with chest harness and no foot loop)

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds