How-to Books

• marienbad
  • marienbad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
12 years 8 months ago #135493 by marienbad
How-to Books was created by marienbad
I'm realizing this may be asking a bit too much, and that this website is connected with commercial services, but.....

Hello; I'm brand new to tree climbing (with rope), and I figured I would get started by simply consulting my library. Little did I know how little is written about the subject.

While there are many how-to books on a subject as obscure as "freight-hopping", I can't seem to locate a single title about how to climb trees.

I would be interested in taking a beginner's class, but I know I learn better on my own where I can go at my own pace, and both the cost and location of classes (I'm in Davis, CA) are somewhat prohibitive for a newbie like me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135495 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:How-to Books
In the overall scheme of things, the number of active rec tree climbers is very small. It's not a large enough market to justify a publisher financing a book. The books aimed at the pro arborist audience have useful info but the technique is oriented towards work processes, for example why would you ever want to know how or why to use a wire core lanyard, or climbing spurs?

Check out Dick Flower's rec climbing book, $7.50 from New Tribe, Jepson's Tree Climber's Companion (pro climber guide but good resource on knots and basic DRT and SRT technique) and Peter Jenkins climber basics dvd from the TCI store. All very low-priced and well worth it for getting started tree climbing.
-AJ
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by moss.

More
12 years 8 months ago #135496 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:How-to Books
Also talk to any local tree triming company that has @ least 1 ISA Certified Arborist working for them. Preferably the C.A. Will be one of their climbers. They should be willing to give you some pointers. You may want to check any near by colleges that have a forestry type curriculem. If they do, they likely offer climbing as part of their course package, and therefore have a qualified climb instructor. Pick their brain and offer your services as a "victum" for aerial rescue training in return for some lessons. Hey, ya never know unless you ask. Just like "The Great One" used to say, "100% of all shots not taken never score." Good luck.

Ron

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds