I'd app?

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 2 months ago #135200 by 2chops
I'd app? was created by 2chops
Does anyone know if there's an app I could download, that would IDa tree if I took a picture of it? I'm pretty good @ IDing most of the native species in my area. But my weak area is evergreens and the ever expanding array of ornimentals. This would be a great feature for my phone. It's just not convenient to haul a bunch of tree books around all the time.

Thanks for your input. Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135238 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:I'd app?
I think identification by photo would be impossible. It would be possible to write a program that could step you through a list of questions. Something like...

http://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/WhatTree.cfm?ItemID=E6A

More
13 years 1 month ago #135239 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:I'd app?
It would be very difficult to build a software application that could ID a tree from a photograph. Way too many variables involved, this would require very sophisticated software that would need much more computing muscle than a smartphone can provide.

More achievable would be a tree field guide app that would allow you to narrow down the possibilties using a key guide: tree family, crown form, leave shape, twig and bud form, bark characterics etc.
-AJ

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago #135251 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:I'd app?
I kinda figured that such an app would be tough to do. I got the idea a while ago when I heard a guy talking about an app he had on his phone for music. He holds his phone up next to a speaker when a song is playing, and it can id the song. I thought it would be nice if there were such a thing for trees.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135254 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:I'd app?
2chops wrote:

I kinda figured that such an app would be tough to do. I got the idea a while ago when I heard a guy talking about an app he had on his phone for music. He holds his phone up next to a speaker when a song is playing, and it can id the song. I thought it would be nice if there were such a thing for trees.

It's a great idea. Who knows, someday someone might figure out a way to do it. I guess you'd need to feed at least 3 photos to allow software to do the ID: bark detail, overall tree form and leaf or twig/bud images.

Another challenge is that same species can look very different at different ages, bark texture can be totally different, crown form can be totally different, a serious puzzle for automated ID.

Same species growing in different habitat can have very different form. And same species broadly separated by geography can look very different. I've heard that DNA analysis reveals that northern red oak in Wisconsin is more similar genetically to white oak than it is to northern red oak sampled in North Carolina. Trees are tricky beasts, there's so much we don't know about them.
-AJ
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by moss.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds