Tree or Rope?

• wilson
  • wilson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123124 by wilson
Tree or Rope? was created by wilson
Please understand that I'm not trying to be a smartalek or anything. I have just begun exploring the possibilities of this hobby via the web and I have a very basic question. Some of the websites I've scanned seem to suggest to me that this is more about rope climbing using trees to hold the rope than it is about tree climbing. Am I am missing something or is that a fairly correct assessment?

Just trying to learn and expand,
Wilson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123125 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic Tree or Rope?
You could maybe say that. I would say that it's utilizing a rope to climb the tree. I absolutely say that I'm tree climbing, not rope climbing.
I've never climbed single rope technique in my life, in part because I regard that more as "rope climbing".
That's an interesting observation though.
Josh

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123126 by bill123
Replied by bill123 on topic Tree or Rope?
By rock climber's standards, yes, we are climbing the rope. Rock climbers usually try to leave slack in the line and use the rope only as a safety. We keep tension in the line at all times and do in fact, climb the rope when entering the tree.

Nothing wrong with climbing the rope. It' s actually one of the fun parts of the activity. Swinging and all. Once in the tree, there is plenty of opportunity to use your arms and legs to scramble about. Just need to make sure and keep a taught line in case of slips.

More
20 years 4 months ago - 20 years 4 months ago #123130 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Tree or Rope?
Also remember that some of this do this to be IN the tree. We could easily put our rope up in the rafters at the local gym, tie our knots and climb up...but that's (k)not what this is about.

I like the breeze, the green, trying new techniques (working on my retrievable redirect right now), and seeing parts of trees from way closer than what almost the rest of America gets to see.

It's fun! But like has already been said, we do USE the rope. That was my hardest thing when I started climbing trees. I learned ropes as a rock climber. It is sin to grab the rope on the rocks. Now it is allowed and encouraged!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
13 years 5 months ago #134930 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Tree or Rope?
Nick, I agree with your observation about rigging a rope in the rafters. When I tell folks about my tree climbing academy, they often suggest that I could do this inside on the not so nice days. "Yes", I say, "but that misses the point." which is, of course, to get outside and climb an actual tree. Otherwise my program is no different than the many rock walls in the area.

However, having said that, there is a place for an indoor rope setup. If you're teaching a climbing course to folks from out of town or have plunked down a wad af cash, and bad weather sets in, an underroof setting is just the ticket.

More
13 years 5 months ago #134931 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Tree or Rope?
Nick, I agree with your observation about rigging a rope in the rafters. When I tell folks about my tree climbing academy, they often suggest that I could do this inside on the not so nice days. "Yes", I say, "but that misses the point." which is, of course, to get outside and climb an actual tree. Otherwise my program is no different than the many rock walls in the area.

However, having said that, there is a place for an indoor rope setup. If you're teaching a climbing course to folks from out of town or have plunked down a wad af cash, and bad weather sets in, an underroof setting is just the ticket.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds