Tree Climbers International Forum

Register today!  Website registration is required to participate in our Forums. Register now and start posting your comments!

New climbers! These Forums are not intended as a substitute for professional tree climbing instruction. Please do not use them for that purpose. We urge you learn the fundamentals of safe tree climbing by taking a “Basic Tree Climbing Course,” or by purchasing TCI’s "Tree Climbing Basics” DVD or online BTCC.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Total newbie, first rope advice

Total newbie, first rope advice 1 week 3 days ago #138272

• lee737
  • Fresh Boarder
G'day....
My sons and I are looking to do some recreational tree climbing, me for exercise and some adventure, the kids just want to have fun! We're also mad geocachers, so it may help us grab some of the tricky high ones!

We have no gear.

I'm looking at a rope, and considering a 13mm tree climbing rope. I've found two here (there don't seem to be many in Australia):
1. Edelrid 13mm 'Direction Up' - 24 strand cover, 16 strand inner polyamide - 50m, $400
2. Marlow Gecko 13mm - 16 strand - 45m, $269 (with a splice)
The Edelrid is more expensive, but I like the sounds of the company, and German made lends confidence!

My intention is to use a double rope technique, Blakes hitch with a foot loop, at least to begin with until we find our feet.... We have a park at the end of our street which has a lot of gum trees we can start low and practice.

I'm not particularly concerned about the extra cost of the Edelrid, can anyone offer any advice about the specs? I can post more info if needed.....

Thanks in advance..... Lee
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Total newbie, first rope advice 6 days 12 hours ago #138273

• patty
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Lee,
Check out the "Tree Climbing Gear" section on our website. It will give you a good introduction to all the gear you need for recreational tree climbing.
Welcome to the TCI Forums!
Patty
The following user(s) said Thank You: lee737

Total newbie, first rope advice 6 days 4 hours ago #138274

• lee737
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks - I hadn't noticed the sidebar on the right with the detailed info....
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Visitor Login