Beeline split tail question

• ccanfield2312
  • ccanfield2312's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #137482 by ccanfield2312
Beeline split tail question was created by ccanfield2312
So I've been experimenting low and slow with SRT and a rope wrench. I've starting using an 8mm beeline eye to eye tail to tie a Valdotain tresse, but it seems like it's jamming up very quickly on decent and sometimes on ascent. I've triple checked the tresse to ensure it's tied correctly, but it feels like the tail is flattening out. Is this normal? I'm climbing on new 11mm fly right now, and wondering if I need to try a new split tail of a different texture or if I just need to work the fly in? I'm also using a DMM hitchclimber setup as a tender. Do I need to attach an over the shoulder tender as well to help with ascent? Any help would be great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #137484 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Beeline split tail question
VT is not a great hitch for the rope wrench. Typically it needs to be nudged up to set SRT and that's a potentially dangerous fail for rope wrench climbing. I recommend a Michoacan or Cooper's Hitch for the wrench. Personally I prefer 10mm over 8mm, it grabs well and gives a smoother release. I'd start with a 30" eye-to-eye 10mm hitch cord and work on configuring a hitch that always grabs when you sit back on it without having to nudge it up to set.

It doesn't matter whether your climbing line is broken in or not, with a well configured hitch the system will work well.

Over the shoulder lanyard works as an advancer but can be awkward. Take a look at the bungee advancer that treestuff.com offers, it's a good model for building your own or buy it.
-AJ
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccanfield2312

• ccanfield2312
  • ccanfield2312's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #137485 by ccanfield2312
Replied by ccanfield2312 on topic Beeline split tail question
Thanks Moss! I've got some 10 mm on order. I went for a rec climb this afternoon and played around with a distel. I will have to try the Michoacan and Coopers to see what works. I'll look into the bungee too. I appreciate the input!

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds