• hannanguns
  • hannanguns's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 9 months ago #137393 by hannanguns
starter kits was created by hannanguns
Hello all
I'm new to the climbing world and I am torn between what starter kits to get for my first set there are two main kits I'm looking at and need some advice. I'm planing on trimming some trees and doing some recreational climbing so I'm going to be spending some serious time in the saddle. I want to be able to do branch walking. The kits I'm looking at are https://www.bartlettman.com/mobile/product.asp?itemid=1318
And
http://wesspur.com/climbing-kits/basic-rope-climbing-kit.html

I'm looking for pros and cons of each kit if anyone can help

Thanks for your time
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137394 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic starter kits
Welcome aboard. First, are you going to climb for fun or for a living? If for fun, forget either of those two kits. Look up the basic recreational climbing kit on the Wesspur site. Treeman helped assemble the package. Big difference is the type of saddle and cambium saver. For rec climbing the New Tribe saddles are hard to beat.

If you plan to climb to do tree work, either of the two you linked to will do just fine. I rec climbed with my Buckingham work saddle for 2 years before I got the New Tribe Tengu. The Bucko was OK. But twice the weight. Something to consider. Especially if you plan to climb in areas that you have to backpack into. An extra pound or three really adds up when lugging it around.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #137628 by thearne3
Replied by thearne3 on topic starter kits
Hi,

Also trying to decide on a basic kit. The major sellers seem to change their kits over time.

Comparing WesSpur's Entry level kit (plus helmet) I believe that the DdRT package with prusik/pulley and flipline has all the needed items for about $510 (399+110 for vertex helmet) or $600 (with vertex and tengu upgrade). The TCI kit on TreeStuff is barebones, with no double rope prusik/pulley or flipline for moving about in the tree - all for $650ish after discount.

What am I missing? Rope quality? Anything else?

I'm also wondering if the less expensive Yellow Jacket from New Tribe is as good as the Tengu?

Also, I'm in Connecticut. I don't see much activity in my area. I'm concerned that I'm 'on my own' and won't get enough training or support. I come from years of rock climbing, but that could just make me over-confident!

Thanks,
Tom
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by thearne3.

More
7 years 7 months ago #137657 by moss
Replied by moss on topic starter kits
The Tengu is definitely more comfortable than the Yellowjacket. Yellowjacket is intended more as a compactable light harness when weight is critical say for backpacking etc. I've climbed on both, just my impression.

If you are still considering and have links to the specific kits it would make them easier to compare, thx.

What part of Connecticut are you in? I'm in eastern Mass.
-AJ

More
7 years 7 months ago #137658 by moss
Replied by moss on topic starter kits
Ok, I think I found the kits you're referring to. The Wesspur basic kit includes Arborplex rope, very inexpensive, not a great rope, I bought one when I started out and it very quickly became a rigging rope. TCI kit includes a much higher quality rope. Also would not recommend the Buckingham harness in the Wesppur kit, not good for long hang times which happens a lot. The lanyard is not a big deal, for example you can use the tail of your main climbing rope for a second attachment. You can also make a lanyard very cheaply and easily, 2 carabiners, 15' of 11mm arb rope, and a prussik cord and you're good to go. When you get to that I have some lanyard recipes for you.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds