saddle suggestions

• danim07
  • danim07's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #136863 by danim07
saddle suggestions was created by danim07
I'm in the process of buying my own gear and was hoping for some suggestions about which saddle to buy. I've used the New Tribe Twist several times and this past weekend tried the New Tribe Tengu. I liked that the Tengu was less bulky, but was much less comfortable in that saddle and was covered in bruises by the second day.
I'm a 5'4" 130 lb female with high hips. The larger waist straps (like the Twist) tend to sit too high on my body and limit my movement. Ideally I'd like to find a comfortable-enough saddle without the extra bulk around the waist. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #136864 by patty
Replied by patty on topic saddle suggestions
Hi Danielle,

Welcome to the TCI Forums!

My suggestion is that you go to the New Tribe website and look at all their recreational saddles, then call andtalk to them about your questions. In our experience, the Tengu saddle is the most comfortable saddle for recreational climbers, but it sounds like your body type needs something else. They can advise you better than anyone, I think, because they designed the saddles based on climbers’ needs and feedback.

Patty Jenkins
TCI Executive Director

More
9 years 7 months ago #136909 by jppawliw
Replied by jppawliw on topic saddle suggestions
Unfortunately, like a lot of things, I think you just have to try. I'm in a similar boat, having just started in recent weeks. I got the New Tribe Tree Fox; it seemed to offer no down side, for my use, compared to the Tengu and was a bit less expensive. It has greater adjustability compared to the Yellow Jacket, but I'm not sure if that's still the case, as I've read conflicting reports about adjustable leg straps on the Yellow Jacket. So far so good, though I find the main attachment point kindof loose; maybe I'm on the small end of the size range, though I should be in the middle. I'd like some adjustability in that area, to tighten up the main attachment to my body, but there is none. I got the Twist for my wife and daughter (1 adult and 1 kids), with the intent of fitting a variety of friends and kids as well. They consistently complain of the saddle digging into their ribs and we can't seem to fit it better. I haven't tried it yet myself to compare.
My suggestion is to cultivate some climbing buddies and, if you don't like your saddle, sell it to a friend!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds