minimalist kit

More
13 years 1 month ago #135182 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:minimalist kit
mrand wrote:

hey Moss,
sorry for confusion. I was saying that normally I use a cambium and climb DRT-with the rope sliding through....typically DRT technique.

To save space, I'll probably bring half the rope. use a running bowline and have single line down from one branch. To further save space, I don't want to bring ascenders so I'll probably climb splittail

you saying thats a mistake?

No, not a mistake, definitely can climb SRT with hitches. If you look at mountaineering best practices climbers will use two hitches or two points of life support attachment on the rope. It's slow going climbing SRT with hitches. With two hitches you can inchworm down the rope to descend if you need to. Descending SRT on one hitch is very difficult and not recommended, you'd need to bring along an F8 or other mechanical descent device like a Grigri etc.
-AJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135183 by moss
mrand wrote:

and one more question for you guys.
I use a pantin foot ascender typically. I'll be in a tropical location so I can't wear my boots.
the pantin is quite uncomfortable with shoes..doesn't stay tight and likes to dig into the ankles

I'm at a loss. I don't really want to do a prussik footloop

maybe considering a bungee cord technique that pulls a footascender up...and keep the pantin loosely tied

not really sure the best thing to do here

Bungee technique would work. I think light hiking shoes that cover the ankle would be fine in the tropics. I wear mine climbing in hot/wet summer conditions with temps in the high 90's f, no problem that I've noticed. I walk through water and mud with them, no problem.
-AJ

• mrand
  • mrand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
13 years 1 month ago #135184 by mrand
Replied by mrand on topic Re:minimalist kit
thanks moss!! great advice from you

if i decide to do the bungee technique( which I've never done) and since I will not be wearing boots, would it make since to do with this and not a pantin

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Miscellaneous_10/Short-Foot-Loop-Strap-1299

you guys are so helpful. thanks!!!

More
13 years 1 month ago #135186 by moss
I just posted a video in the Tree Climbing Technique section of the forum, I'm demonstrating a simple hitch and single mechanical ascender technique. This is a decent minimalist way to climb SRT. I'm also using a Pantin to provide power with both feet, the other foot is in a footloop off the handled ascender.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 month ago #135187 by moss
mrand wrote:

if i decide to do the bungee technique( which I've never done) and since I will not be wearing boots, would it make since to do with this and not a pantin

You probably know this already but it's worth mentioning...

Make sure you practice and work out all the bugs in whatever system you decide to use before you arrive in the tropics :-) Especially things like removing your cinched rope after you descend out of the tree, there are many opportunities to accidentally get your rope stuck taking it out of the tree.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 month ago #135190 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:minimalist kit
Minimalist...here's my 2 cents worth.

120' of 1/2" rope
2 cambium savers
2 biners
1 helmet
1 harness (optional but preferred)
1 split tail(1biner & 1 5' length of 1/2" rope, different color than main rope) (split tail is optional)
1 lanyard(optional)(1 biner and 1 12' length of 1/2" rope, different color than main line.)

The above is all I take in the bush on most climbs.It all packs into my day pack. Except the saddle. Which I wear in or sling on bandelero style. If I go pure minimalist, It's just the rope, sleave and helmet. I set the rope over suitable branch and make a saddle with just the rope. The rope only set up is what I take when I'm just going for a hike. I like to have it, "just in case." ;)

Ron

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135193 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re: minimalist kit
michaeljspraggon wrote:

Notice on the first picture how I've colour-coded left and righthand sides with Yellow and Red tags on the Blakes Hitches and coloured Biner gates to match.

Anyway, here it is clipped up and ready for transportation on my harness for the SRT ascent.

I welcome any comments as we've all got things to learn from each other!

Michael

Questions:

Do you use this system for decent also? I'm having trouble picturing that, if so can you describe.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135195 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re: minimalist kit
I use it for safety while climbing on branches and for holding me in position if I want to do something (like have lunch or measure the tree). Therefore I can climb up and down and even do some limited branch-walking but I wouldn't normally hang off it while descending as there are no friction savers on this one.

With my friction savers fitted I suppose I could do some controlled rappelling for up to 16ft at a time as the chord for the Blake's Hitches doesn't bind on this thin dynamic rope.

I do have a 60ft version now, which I'm trying out tomorrow. However I suspect it will bind when I try skywalking and I will need to revert to Valdotain's with pulleys to advance the hitches more easily.

The 32ft system pictured previously is perfect for what I use it for anyway.

Michael

More
13 years 1 month ago #135196 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re: minimalist kit
I never did describe how I would rappel. It's very simple:

I put one end (with friction saver!) around the limb near, Detach the other end from the limb it was around.

Then I hang off the loop around the limb I just put the other end around and descend by gently applying pressure to the Blake's hitch.

The total length of the lanyard is 32ft so after 15ft or so the free end becomes short so I stop and put it around a nearby limb.

I continue lowering from the first loop until all my weight is on the second loop.

Then I remove the first loop and continue rappelling for the next 15ft pitch, etc. until I reach the main SRT rope or the ground itself if possible.

Michael

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds