Would like a saddle recommendation

• Keitht
  • Keitht's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133779 by Keitht
Would like a saddle recommendation was created by Keitht
I'm looking for a nice saddle recommendation. I currently own a saddle that is 20 or so years old and am looking for something better. I don't have a lot of money but like to get something nice the first time so I don't have to upgrade later.

Any recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133781 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
Keitht wrote:

I'm looking for a nice saddle recommendation. I currently own a saddle that is 20 or so years old and am looking for something better. I don't have a lot of money but like to get something nice the first time so I don't have to upgrade later.

Any recommendations?

I'll always say one of the New Tribe work harnesses, Tengu being my favorite. But... need to know more about your climbing style and technique, your body type can make a difference, are you a professional climber, would it be for for work or rec climbing or both?
-moss

More
14 years 10 months ago #133783 by canopyboy
Replied by canopyboy on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
I recently got the New Tribe IV Special. I think it's very close to the Tengu except for metal D's and such instead of fabric. I use it for rec and working in trees and really like it for both. The price is right too compared to a lot of arborist saddles. Not that I wouldn't want to try some of them, I just can't imagine they'd work that much better for me.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133784 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
If you have a 20 year old saddle it is probably pass due time to replace it (if you use it regularly that is!) I assume that you have beeen climbing that long so your experience is Ok. :laugh:

I would suggest you look a the New Tribe Saddles any of them will do a nice job for you and they can be customized the way you like it. Price varies with your saddle but a Basic Saddle is not too much for the value and confort they provide. They are very durable under normal work conditions.

Basic New Tribe Saddle link
http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=137

Photo of My saddles

• Keitht
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133785 by Keitht
Replied by Keitht on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
Moss:

I am average height and weight. I need a saddle to climb into Raptor nests that I survey. As I stated in the general forum when I introduced myself, I have climbed all my life but know very little of correct climbing technique. So I am looking to change that now. (Got some good suggestions on books and the DVD from forum members)

Many of my climbs involve very tall pines. Often the crown is scary thin in diameter.

I don't climb often. I don't get to pick the trees I do climb. I have to climb what is presented to me. I want a saddle that is adaptable to my needs as my techniques expand.

thanks all

More
14 years 10 months ago #133787 by moss
Keitht wrote:

Moss:

I am average height and weight. I need a saddle to climb into Raptor nests that I survey. As I stated in the general forum when I introduced myself, I have climbed all my life but know very little of correct climbing technique. So I am looking to change that now. (Got some good suggestions on books and the DVD from forum members)

Many of my climbs involve very tall pines. Often the crown is scary thin in diameter.

I don't climb often. I don't get to pick the trees I do climb. I have to climb what is presented to me. I want a saddle that is adaptable to my needs as my techniques expand.

thanks all

Ok, thanks Keith. The NT Tengu is a versatile saddle, I use it for a wide variety of climbing techniques. A big plus for the NT work class harnesses is that they are very comfortable for long hang times.

I would look at a Yoyo or RADS SRT system for ascending skinny pines. A static rope is installed by hand throwing (or using a slingshot) a throwline/throwbag over multiple branches in the crown. One end of the rope is secured at the base of the trunk of the tree or on a nearby tree. You climb the free leg of the rope up into the tree. When you reach the top of the rope, assuming that the upper branches are too skinny to tie into you switch over to a long adustable lanyard which is put around the trunk (or spar). As you advance you put a second shorter lanyard around the spar, release the the first and continue. It's called Alternating Lanyard technique or Alt lanyard. There are variations but that's how I do it. It's possible to climb a pine with skinny upper branches as long as the vertical spar will support you. On the New Tribe web site there is an excellent description of the Yoyo technique.

There are many safety considerations and subtleties around climbing SRT as described, ask questions and test everything low and slow before getting yourself up into a tree.

What area are you located in? It would be helpful to climb with someone experienced with these techniques
-moss

• Keitht
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133794 by Keitht
Moss:

Some great information and recommendations! I'll research it.

I'm in Missouri.

thanks

More
14 years 9 months ago #133869 by TreeBird2
Replied by TreeBird2 on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
Keitht wrote:

Any recommendations?

I got a New Tribe Tengu Medium I have never used! I'm trying to sell off my gear, since I never got into climbing. Might be a good way to get a good deal on a quality saddle. Let me know if your interested.

• Keitht
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
14 years 9 months ago #133873 by Keitht
Treebird: PM sent.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134365 by GaDawg
Replied by GaDawg on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
I am looking at a new harness purchase for both recreational SRT and DRT climbing. I know that there lots of positive comments about the comfort of New Tribe's harnesses, but what are your thoughts on Sherrill's Elevation as far as comfort on the legs for long hang times vs. the New Tribe VI Special?

thanks all!

More
14 years 2 months ago #134366 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
GaDawg wrote:

...what are your thoughts on Sherrill's Elevation as far as comfort on the legs for long hang times vs. the New Tribe VI Special?

thanks all!

I can't speak first hand about the Elevation, but I did check it out on the web and frankly, it looks nice, but seems to better suited for work harness, rather than a rec. one.

The Vi and Tengu, both of which I own, are SUPER comfortable on long term climbs. I facilitate rope rescue classes as well as rec. climbs. During these sessions, it's not uncommon for me to be sitting in my saddle for 3, 4, or more hours at a clip. I say sitting rather than hanging because that's exactly what you do in a NT saddle. It feels like a comfy hanging camp chair!

What make them so comfortable? Answer: The leg pads. They are not skinny little straps, they are wide, long, and thick. the pads are dual density too, offering support and comfort.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134370 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Would like a saddle recommendation
I know everyone here is sold on the New Tribe offerings but I did notice a sale at Sherrill that looked interesting. I would be curious to hear how comfortable this Buckingham saddle is. The rigid bosun seat looks interesting.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134376 by GaDawg
In looking at the difference between the Tengu and the VI Special I see that the Tengu has adjustment to the leg straps. Is it worth the extra money for this adjustment?

More
14 years 2 months ago #134377 by moss
GaDawg wrote:

In looking at the difference between the Tengu and the VI Special I see that the Tengu has adjustment to the leg straps. Is it worth the extra money for this adjustment?

The leg straps on NT harnesses don't adjust. The NT saddle architecture is completely different than standard arborist harnesses where the leg strap rides high on the leg and is tightened. To be functional the NT leg straps need to be loose. The Tengu comes stock with the leg strap release buckles. This makes it easier to get in and out of the harness (stock Vi Special you need to step through the leg straps to put the harness on). This option is available custom for the Vi Special. I'd recommend going for that option whichever NT harness you get. If you're cutting it close money-wise you'll do fine without the leg strap releases. I climbed on a Vi Special for 3 years, was never disappointed by it, excellent saddle.
-moss

More
14 years 2 months ago #134378 by GaDawg
Thanks guys for your thoughts, it looks like I can't go wrong with either NT saddle.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds