Basic Safety Protocol

More
13 years 8 months ago #134715 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Basic Safety Protocol
Michael,
I didn't know your were once into rocks. So let's step into that arena (rock climbing) and do a macho, or not so macho skills assessment. Here's the question in retro '60 speak:

Were you a 5 10 ee? Or phonetically; a 5 tennee? We didn't have 5.12 back then (difficulty ratings).

Me- best I could do is 5.9 with an instructor asking me to put a little more faith in an edge foot hold I couldn't even see (standing up on a little flake of granite and putting my full weight on it.)
I was happy to move into a climbing arena that had me climbing round cylinder objects (trunks and branches). Look mom--no rope shear!

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #134722 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Basic Safety Protocol
Treeman,

I started out climbing beech trees in about 1983 and got into rock climbing in the mid 90's. However I've only really done it for a few days a year.

Not getting off on desparation or danger like so many rock jocks, I only lead up to about VS 4c or HVS 5a British grades, which is about 5.8. Seconding or on a top rope I can just manage a technical climb of 5c British, which is about 5.11. So we're not that different in terms of ability!

I might go to the Roaches in a few weeks' time actually...

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds