ACP- Lanyards

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126132 by treeman
ACP- Lanyards was created by treeman
What pound test should lanyards be? Do they have to be ½ inch diameter or could thinner ropes be used that stuff well, say 9mm ropes? Any special lengths?

What hardware should be on this lanyard? Where should it be placed? Double locking, triple locking, or screw on-tightened every time with a hefty crank-with our “any size adjustable” 6 inch crescent wrench, proudly hung on our saddle sides? Maybe a bit of lock- tite for that extra security? What do you think?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126142 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic ACP- Lanyards
I do not think there is any reason to be too restrictive about materials for lanyards as long as they meet a basic strength requirement. It would be simple enough to apply the same tensile strength we expect of our arborist climbing to our lanyards. All adjusters and attachers should meet whatever recommendations we make for them elsewhere in the ACP.

It is good to keep in mind that there is danger with smaller diameter cords, even if they are strong. It is much easier to cut through an 8mm line than it is a 13mm line. This is clearly more of a concern for the working arborist, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126145 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic ACP- Lanyards
Follow ANSI Z133.

since RTC looks the most like pro tree climbing it makes the most sense to follow the guidelines and regulations that have been developed.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126171 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic ACP- Lanyards
Rope and hardware should be 5,000lbs minimum (forget that stinkin' 5,400!!!!) and friction hitch cord should be 2,500lbs.

And I say breaking strengths, at least for rope, should be reported as minimums and not averages (MBS instead of ABS).

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds