Great Horned Owl rescue

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #132913 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Great Horned Owl rescue
It's a tough one, Moss.

Most raptors don't drink. In the wild, they get all the moisture they need from the animals they eat. So a dehydrated bird may likely be an emaciated bird as well.

Fluids can be give orally via gavage tube, or subcutaneously (under the skin) via syringe. Expert training required.

Next time you get a call like your Barred Owl, maybe see if you can get a rehabber to come along. They can begin treatment as soon as you are on the ground. Fluid therapy (and sometimes steroids) administered as soon as possible, are effective in treating shock and increase the animals chance of survival greatly.

Again, thanks for being willing to get involved. Many people (including some tree professionals) I meet, are not.
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Baker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 3 months ago #132914 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Great Horned Owl rescue
Baker wrote:

Most raptors don't drink. In the wild, they get all the moisture they need from the animals they eat. So a dehydrated bird may likely be an emaciated bird as well.

Fluids can be give orally via gavage tube, or subcutaneously (under the skin) via syringe. Expert training required.

Next time you get a call like your Barred Owl, maybe see if you can get a rehabber to come along. They can begin treatment as soon as you are on the ground. Fluid therapy (and sometimes steroids) administered as soon as possible, are effective in treating shock and increase the animals chance of survival greatly.

What I was thinking. When I brought the Barred Owl in they immediately gave it subcutaneous \"rescue\" fluid to rehydrate, there was probably some glucose in there as well. I would like to train to have that capability. Good point though, I need to update my wildlife rehabilitator list and put their numbers on my cell phone. Thanks!
-moss

More
15 years 3 months ago #132916 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Great Horned Owl rescue
Sorry to hear that the owl didn't make it.

More
15 years 2 months ago #132959 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re:Great Horned Owl rescue
Baker wrote:

Moss,

Don't feel bad. As a wildlife rehabilitator, I can tell you that if the owl died that quickly, there was probably nothing any vet could have done to change the outcome.
You are a noble man for the attempt. You are to be commended.

indeed

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #132979 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Great Horned Owl rescue
I received a brief necropsy report from the wildlife clinic. The owl had abdominal injuries consistent with being hit by a car. It was described as otherwise very healthy with good body condition and fat reserves. It probably attacked a rodent or some small animal crossing the road and was hit as it lifted off to escape the car. Or it converged with a car as it was swooping towards prey (probably less likely). It shows how strong this owl was, it was hit by a car and was still able to fly to the top of a tree before it started to weaken from internal injuries. I received no information whether its injuries would've been treatable or not if it was brought in sooner.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds