Lunch Break Climb

• Culinarytracker
  • Culinarytracker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132746 by Culinarytracker
Lunch Break Climb was created by Culinarytracker
I was sitting at a small parking spot by a canoe access point near my restaurant during a break the other day and saw a nice easy to get to tree. I got the gear out and quickly was in the tree. Everything went well, I could see way more fish and surface area under the stream from straight above it.

While I was pulling my rope down I remembered that I forgot to tie a knot in the end to pull down the leather cambium saver. I was going to give it a good yank, hoping for the rope to flip over the branch and pull it out of the tree. No such luck, as I looked up I just got to see the end of the rope falling through the rope saver, and tumbling to the ground.

I did not have time to get back up there to get it before I had to be back at work. So I headed back there the next day.

It was raining like crazy when I had time to climb, however it was 40 degrees and I knew the rest of the week was going to be well below freezing, So up I went.

I have some observations about climbing in the rain as a result of this endeavor.

1 - I think my Blake's Hitch was tighter if anything. after fiddling around a bit I knew that knot slippage was not a concern.

2 - Tree limbs are darn slippery when wet. Especially when you need them not to be.

3 - Extra care must be taken to keep the ropes and such out of the mud, I recommend somehow hanging the rope in a mesh bag to pull into the tree from, and out of the tree into. I think mine's due for a laundromat visit.

4 - A rainy day in the woods is especially beautiful when viewed from above.

Don't go getting hypothermic, but I must recommend it to everyone. Proper clothing is a must. :)

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132753 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Lunch Break Climb
Culinarytracker wrote:

It was raining like crazy when I had time to climb, however it was 40 degrees and I knew the rest of the week was going to be well below freezing, So up I went.

I'm guessing you won't forget that knot next time:laugh: I tried my leather saver for the first time a few days ago and wasn't too impressed. It doesn't want to slide up over the branch and it is too short for a big branch.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132763 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Lunch Break Climb
Davej Wrote:

I tried my leather saver for the first time a few days ago and wasn't too impressed. It doesn't want to slide up over the branch and it is too short for a big branch.

I've never not been able to work it over the branch. Sometimes it is not long enough to cover huge branches, but in those cases I think it does well enough. I try to pay attention to any damage I may cause, (none of us are perfect) and I'm pretty sure that as long as the leather covers the top of the branch, it's going to take the vast majority of the friction.

What kind of trees are you climbing that act like that? The roughest bark I've climbed on around here would be Hackberry or Black Walnut.

Carl

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132764 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Lunch Break Climb
Carl,
Great report. I love those quick impromptu climbs. Take every opportunity for enjoyment that comes along. Life is short, your rope isn't.

Davej wrote:
I tried my leather saver for the first time a few days ago and wasn't too impressed. It doesn't want to slide up over the branch and it is too short for a big branch.

Dave,
It's a learned skill but not too difficult to master. You'll get it just takes a little practice. While pulling on the down side of the rope, give the up side a little whip snap. Do this just as the cambium saver touches the limb. The whipping action unweights the rope and the 'saver, allowing it to hop over the limb. It may take 2 or more tries, but you'll get it.

Heres a beginner tip: Tie your slip knot far enough back on the climbing line so that as you set the sleeve, you can pull down on the rope itself, not the throw line. This makes setting the cambium save a bit easier and more comfortable. If the cambium saver won't reach over the diameter of a particular limb, the limb is probably too big for that particular type of protection and there is a chance of rope on bark friction. Either try a different TIP or use a different kind of rope protector. Webbing and ring friction savers and some House-type sleeves are longer than the leather sleeves, offering protection on larger limbs.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132765 by Davej

Culinarytracker wrote:What kind of trees are you climbing that act like that?

Oh just an old maple -- my practice tree -- telephone pole sized limbs at a 45 degree angle. The bark has a bit of shagginess to it.

Baker wrote:Great report. I love those quick impromptu climbs.

Yeah I bet this rainy climb was quick. How many minutes Carl?

Baker wrote:Tie your slip knot far enough back on the climbing line so that as you set the sleeve, you can pull down on the rope itself, not the throw line.

That would be much better. It certainly won't just pull over with the throwline.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132777 by Culinarytracker
Davej Wrote:

Yeah I bet this rainy climb was quick. How many minutes Carl?

When I first started to set the line it was just misting a little, after I got the cambium saver it was raining pretty good. I stayed in the tree for about an hour total. After a while I found a nice spot to stand up and look over the woods and stream. The rainy day was really beautiful from this vantage point. I took a moment to play in the rain that day :)

Carl

More
15 years 4 months ago #132779 by Davej

Culinarytracker wrote:
after I got the cambium saver it was raining pretty good. I stayed in the tree for about an hour total.

Whoa, a hour climbing in 40F rain? Wearing what?

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132781 by Culinarytracker
Davej wrote:

Whoa, a hour climbing in 40F rain? Wearing what?

I had my Columbia skiing coat with me, that is pretty impervious to the elements, but it was way to warm to wear during the climb.

Other than that I was wearing my Marmot long johns and flannel lined carhart pants, thermal top, and a chef jacket.

Lots of layers, adjusting your amount of insulation during a climb is crucial. If I remember right, during the ascent I had my coat hanging from a carabiner my chef jacket unbuttoned and my hat stuffed in the coat pocket. Definitely don't want to overheat and sweat, that is just a set up for misery.
After a few minutes in the branches I quickly had to zip up the chef coat, put on the hat and the big coat.

Carl

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds