Vertical rock and roll

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #131715 by moss
Vertical rock and roll was created by moss
A pair of four year-olds enjoy some quality tree time. A backyard Ailanthus was the perfect host for our climb.

More photos

-moss
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #131721 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Vertical rock and roll
Thanks Moss for posting the photo. That kid is definitely having a great time and completely at ease in his climbing saddle. The look of his face is of complete enjoyment and his feet kicking in the air to keep the rhythm is wonderful!

More
15 years 9 months ago #131733 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Vertical rock and roll
I'd like to see Eddie Van Halen jump that high off the ground!:woohoo:

More
13 years 9 months ago #134626 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Vertical rock and roll
Around here, the Ailanthus is considered a junk tree. Also known as the "Ghetto Palm". However this particular one has redeemed itself. Nice pic. That lad will remember that day for a long time.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago #134627 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Vertical rock and roll
2chops wrote:

Around here, the Ailanthus is considered a junk tree. Also known as the "Ghetto Palm". However this particular one has redeemed itself. Nice pic. That lad will remember that day for a long time.

Yep, Ailanthus is widely despised as an invasive in North America. However it is often the only tree that will survive in severe urban conditions. I recently found an excellent Ailanthus in urban woods that has old-growth characteristics and is in excellent health, a superb tree that defies the species reputation.
-moss

More
13 years 9 months ago #134628 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Vertical rock and roll
Yes, this is an amazing tree. It was originally planted around here about 120 years ago because of the fact that it could not only grow, but thrive in what was then, the poor soil conditions in town. But man oh man did it spread. Two years ago I had to spray a large grove of it along the Pine Creek Rail Trail for the state. It was so thick, that everyone who went through that section complained of the smell of it. Nothing like going out into the country for a breath of fresh air, and walking into what smells like a herd of Tom cats' had just sprayed all over everything....repeatedly. UUGH!
But here's the thing, before I sprayed, I scouted out the area real good. I hiked about 200 yards up the mountain to see how far it had spread. I just quit at that point. They will NEVER get rid of it. The Pine Creek area has 1000's and 1000's of acres of beautiful hardwood forests. I grew up here. I hate what I see happening. But so it goes I guess.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago #134629 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Vertical rock and roll
I hear you on the bad side of Ailanthus. In New England it only spreads into disturbed areas, I've never seen it growing in intact native hardwood forest. When it flowers the smell is definitely a powerful male cat odor. Similar to some eucalyptus species which also carry that smell when flowering.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds