Loss of an old neighbor...

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 2 months ago - 16 years 1 month ago #131218 by Baker
Loss of an old neighbor... was created by Baker
This falls under the sharing catagory moreso than the climbing repsrts...

This a.m. I heard the sound of a chainsaw in my neighbors yard. I looked out the window to see an arborist friend of mine way up in my neighbors tree, trimming branches. This tree had lost a few branches during the last few wind/ice storms, and I assumed it was time for a good trimming. I watched my friend climb and work with remarkable skill for a few minutes, then it was time for me to go to work.

Upon returning home this afternoon, I looked out the window again. The entire 80+ foot tree was gone! I was shocked. I, of course, do not blame the arborist. It was the tree's clueless owner that requested that it be removed because she was \"Afraid it was going to fall one of these days.\" The tree was healthy and strong.

I spoke to one of my other older neighbors. She was as heart broken as I was. She, because she saw the tree grow up. Me, because I understood that this was the last big refuge for birds, bats, Squirrels, and insects on our entire block.

Right then and there, my neighbor lady and I made a pact to plant TWO trees in her yard this summer, as a consolation. I hope the \"bad\" neighbor enjoys them.

I really wish people could better understand that all things are connected and that by removing 1 tree, you disrupt an entire ecosystem. Sad :dry:
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by Baker. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #131369 by treeweasel
Replied by treeweasel on topic Re:Loss of an old neighbor...
Yeah, that's a sad story. Amazing how permanent and irreversible some thing are, like cutting down trees or falling from them.

I have a big maple tree probably 60 years old, which sits dead center between my property and my neighbors. Every year he asks me to split the cost to cut it down. He is afraid a big limb will fall on somebody. I understand his worries but that risk is not enough to cut down this huge wonderful tree. Thank God half is on my property otherwise it would probably be gone.

It has sustained some damage throughout the years, but there is no way to replace its magnificient summer shade canopy. And I've befriended more than a few of its squirrel inhabitance. And now that I've learned to climb I keep the bad limbs to a minimum. I certainly dread the day it is ever cut down. I hope to never see that day as long as I live here and it is not diseased.

• scottdb
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 3 weeks ago #131405 by scottdb
Replied by scottdb on topic Re:Loss of an old neighbor...
Many of us in the Arbo world are well aware how many trees are removed for no good reason.

Accurate risk assessment includes working to help people understand their personal risk tolerance and what the actual risk from a tree might be. I find that when people actually think about it they realize that their tree is not going to turn their kid into Flat Stanley or cleave their house in half the tree is likley to stick around for a while.

Plant and conserve! And don't be afraid to prune to reduce risk!

Scott

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds