BARC climb 12/020/07

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 3 months ago - 16 years 3 months ago #130975 by moss
BARC climb 12/020/07 was created by moss
I've started up a community web site for Boston area rec tree climbers (BARC for short). The idea is to have a place for experienced and inexperienced climbers to plan climbs and talk about tree climbing. We've run two climbs so far. On Sunday we climbed a tall white pine in woods just south of Boston, the full report is on the front page blog section of the BARC site

Continuing on the bird theme we had a mixed flock of black-capped chickadees and golden-crowned kinglets join us at the top of the tree. All in all a great day of climbing in wintery but not too cold conditions.

Boston skyline to the north

Standing in a fork near the top around 100 ft.

More photos
10/20/07 BARC climb photos
-moss
Last edit: 16 years 3 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #130976 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Re:BARC climb 12/020/07
moss on BARC and BARC on Ning
I just looked over the BARC site thanks to that handy link moss included in the above post. Nice job on the layout and visual choices too. I am amazed at the skill, energy, and dedication that moss continually brings to the table.

An additional bonus for me is that I also just discovered this “Ning” network.

I still keep a keen eye on this TCI forum and I continue to learn from this great family of climbers.
Stay Warm,:)
-Ej-

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 3 months ago #130978 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:BARC climb 12/020/07
Thanks EJ. I wish I could take all of the credit but Ning is so easy to use, I just chose a template, made some modifications to the layout and it was good to go. The work was in inviting people to participate (they responded above expectation) and being persistent in following through with communication and scheduling climbs. My plan is to customize it with a unique BARC look, that will take a little more work.
-moss

More
16 years 3 months ago #130979 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Re:BARC climb 12/020/07
BARC Off to a Good Start. . .

The BARC will serve as a good means to concentrate your efforts. If you keep it local, you increase your ability to serve the needs and interests of your members tenfold. A local crag, or chapter, is an interesting concept.

I was pleased to see the arborists mixing with the REC people. Actually, I was kind of impressed to see arborists hanging out at the BARC site at all. If you can join the pro & REC climbing communities together, you will have made a great step toward the acceptance of the REC community in pro climbing circles.

Now granted, I don’t expect a REC class at the ISA/ITCC any time soon but even the slightest recognition of “trained” REC climbers would be an interesting phenomena. Note: I know that TCI makes it a point to keep the REC-ITCC link alive each year at the convention and I do appreciate their efforts on that.

I will be keeping an eye on BARC and look forward to the upcoming changes you speak of. If you can coalesce the climbing community in your area in the physical sense, and form a band of active members, you will have grasped the Holy Grail of recreational climbing. (well, at least in my eyes anyway).:)
Thank you for your work in this area.
Regards,
Electrojake

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 3 months ago #130980 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:BARC climb 12/020/07
Arborists are a big part of my local rec climbing community. The blend works well. Once pro arbs have climbed with me a couple of times they get where I'm coming from. We usually have a good exchange of ideas back and forth.

That's the beauty of tree climbing, once you're hanging out up in a tree, everyone gets into tree time, it can't be resisted.

Thanks,
-moss

More
16 years 3 months ago - 16 years 3 months ago #130982 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Profesional and Recreational Climbers
If you have noticed that last year (I think) they added a New section to the Treebuzz Discussion group for Recreational Climbing Stories and it seems that several of the Prof. Climbers take their kids and Significant others climbing for fun/ Also, there are a few of Rec climbers (Moss and JG)that usually post there also. B)

I have decided to stay away from posting since I feel like an intruder into their group but I have learned a bunch of stuff about reading the TBuzz site and their Articles section. Lots of technical info, lots of practical info on techniques and gear selection and the stories about accidents are a good reminder of how dangerous Tree Climbing can be if you do not pay close attention. The last posting in that area a guy falls down from about 3 feet high, messed up his face, and broke a few bones in the legs ( for more details read the actual post in the awakenings area). My point is that it only takes a short fall in the wrong position and the consequences can be pretty bad. :(

Back to the topic of combining Rec. and Prof. Climbers at BARC---> Great Idea Moss !B)
Also, we have guys like TDunlap and his brother that actually climb with Rec Climbers and attend the get together when their time allows.
Last edit: 16 years 3 months ago by oldtimer.

More
16 years 3 months ago - 16 years 3 months ago #130988 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Re:Profesional and Recreational Climbers
oldtimer wrote:

If you have noticed that last year (I think) they added a New section to the Treebuzz Discussion group for Recreational Climbing Stories. . .

Yes, the TreeBuzz recreational section has been there for a while now. When some of my favorite TCI posters are missing from here, I usually go over to the “other” climber’s forums to see what’s been going on. But I seldom post. If I’m going to post at all, it is here at TCI, my birthplace as a REC climber.

oldtimer also wrote:

I have decided to stay away from posting since I feel like an intruder into their group but I have learned a bunch of stuff about reading the TBuzz site. . .

To tell you the truth, I often spend quite a bit of energy NOT posting rather than getting involved. I figure I’m doing my part as a gentleman by not stirring up an otherwise harmonious group. :)

In other news. . .
Oldtimer, I like the improvements to your “Profile” section here on the TCI forum. It’s nice to be able to see who I’m talkingto. Nice photo!
Also. . .
I am supposed to be in Bee Cave in May. Perhaps we can get together. I’ll give you the details via email rather than continue my off topic foray in this BARC forum section.

Speaking of BARC. . .
Very nice web site over there.
It will be interesting to watch it grow.
-Electrojake-
Last edit: 16 years 3 months ago by Electrojake. Reason: Sterilized the content somewhat.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 2 days ago - 16 years 2 days ago #131389 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Profesional and Recreational Climbers
oldtimer wrote:

Also, we have guys like TDunlap and his brother that actually climb with Rec Climbers and attend the get together when their time allows.

Here's a sighting of Jim D. doing the recreational thang:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2132/1987334984_0523009501.jpg?v=0

And his roving tree paparrazi brother Tom also in rec tree climbing mode:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/519294841_6a821a0566.jpg?v=0
Last edit: 16 years 2 days ago by moss.

More
16 years 1 day ago - 16 years 1 day ago #131400 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:BARC climb
I think that will be attending the ISA/Texas Climbers Competing in Fort Worth Next week ( April 4-5) to see the Masters Competing. That was a treat last time they were here in Austin. :ohmy:
Tom D.is teaching a SRT Class to the participants.
So, I may drop by and say hello.
Last edit: 16 years 1 day ago by oldtimer. Reason: spelling error

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds