Climbing in Portland, Oregon

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 5 months ago #130670 by moss
Climbing in Portland, Oregon was created by moss
Here are some photos from a climb in a Portland, Oregon park in June '07. The tree is an elm, I think it's an Asian species. The outer branches form a huge umbrella to the ground, inside is a magnificent open space. One of our Portland friends made his first climb and Meg and I got a chance to go up as well.

Portland climb photos

-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #130673 by Duff
Replied by Duff on topic Re:Climbing in Portland, Oregon
Ah, Portland. I always keep a little bit of my heart in Portland. And Portland in June is glorious. Too bad I wasn't aware you were going or I could have steered you to the big trees on the Reed College campus ( http://web.reed.edu/trees/ ) and across the street at the Rhododendron Gardens. Did you happen to make it to Forest Park? Cool pics, Andrew—thanks.

Great, now I'm homesick again.

Everything that was to happen had happened and everything that was to be seen had gone. It was now one of those moments when nothing remains but an opening in the sky and a story—and maybe something of a poem. Norman Maclean

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 5 months ago - 16 years 5 months ago #130675 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Climbing in Portland, Oregon
I'm homesick and I never lived there, what a great town. I couldn't get over the massive doug-fir, ponderosa, tulip polar, chinese chestnut, catalpa etc. growing in people's little yards and next to the street. I became addicted to espresso after one cappuccino at \"The Fresh Pot\" next to the Powell's annex on Hawthorne. Now in addition to looking for good trees to climb I'm always looking for that perfect cup.

I didn't bring gear to climb king-size trees. The doug-firs I saw on the coast were way too big to even consider climbing with what I had, I was quite happy just to stand under them.

My PNW tourist photos, (some old-growth doug-fir in there)

Coast Redwood as an urban sidewalk tree in Portland:

-moss
Last edit: 16 years 5 months ago by moss.

• moray
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #130783 by moray
Replied by moray on topic Re:Climbing in Portland, Oregon
rmbnxs wrote:

Ah, Portland. I always keep a little bit of my heart in Portland. And Portland in June is glorious. Too bad I wasn't aware you were going or I could have steered you to the big trees on the Reed College campus ( http://web.reed.edu/trees/ ) and across the street at the Rhododendron Gardens. Did you happen to make it to Forest Park? Cool pics, Andrew—thanks.

Great, now I'm homesick again.

Boy, this makes me homesick, too! I used to stare at those great trees, and wonder about them, every day on my way to classes. What a treat it would be to actually climb one of those guys after all these years!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds