Owl Rescue

• icabod
  • icabod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130119 by icabod
Owl Rescue was created by icabod
I performed my latest wildlife resuce a few months ago. I just posted the report at the TCNC website, y'all surf over to check it out

Owl Rescue Report

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130121 by igreen
Replied by igreen on topic Owl Rescue
Your story was an interesting read. I've been lurking here for awhile. I am a complete newbie at tree climbing, but I am getting into it for just the reason you described -- to help return wayward birds of prey to their nests. I volunteer at the International Center for Birds of Prey near Charleston, SC. We deal with this situation a number of times from the late winter to early summer, and tree climbing would definitely help in some situations.

Some quick notes on your story, some people who could have helped you out with advice (especially with getting George out of the bag without having to shake him!) is the the Carolina Raptor Center, located just outside of Charlotte. They are a great organization, and I'm sure would have helped and probably even offered to look George over to make sure he was alright prior to putting him back. I also mention them, because we are always in need of people to help put chicks back in nests (hence the need for me to learn tree climbing), so if you are interested in more adventures like this (but with more gear, and a little bird handling training), you might want to contact them and see if they have any volunteer openings for tree climbers.

Good job, and thanks for helping the Owls!

• icabod
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130130 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Thanks
The raptor center was indeed contacted. The lady I did all this for is a wildlife rehabilitator, so they took great care of George while he was grounded, including not playing with him, and only checking on him to make sure he was alright, so that he wouldn't imprint.
I work near the raptor center. I'll definatly contact them myself, I didn't realise these kinds of operations were often necessary.

By the way there was zero handling of the bird short of carrying him. The whole shaking thing is more editorial license. I really just inverted the bag in the nest, he wouldnt let go though, so I had to convince him, before mom intervened!

By the way email anytime if you need help.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130131 by igreen
Replied by igreen on topic Owl Rescue
Great! I just wanted to let you know there is help out there, but you already knew that. I know how frustrating it can be when a bird grabs onto something (or you) at a really inconvenient time. There are some simple things we do to encourage them to let go, you just need to be a little comfortable around them -- like knowing how to handle their legs without harming them or you.

We don't need climbers that often, but when we do, they'd be really nice to have. This year, I've been involved in three attempted nestling returns (one successful, one not, and one ongoing) -- and on two of them it would have been nice to be able to climb. I've been told it has been a slow year for nest replacements, that we had at least twice as many last year, and CRC generally sees more birds then us, so I would guess they have a need, too.

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130123 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Nice story
Cool story of another rescue. Thanks Icabod- Taylor

• icabod
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130125 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Wish I had more
Seriously, I'd do this all day, everyday.

Oh well, reality sets in in the morning, with the ringing of the alarm clock.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds